Turkey Hunting Techniques For Turkey Hunting

How stupid are turkeys?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How stupid are turkeys?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter57 View Post
Turkeys seem to be suckers for a groundblind. It wasn't there yesterday or earlier today, but that's cool...and they walk right by it. Goofy! I plan to purchase one before next year's turkeys season, as it's just not in the budget for this year.

However, I do have a Cabelas Ice House, ice shelter. There are no "shoot through" windows, but I could leave the door unzipped, the air vents open for some air and wear some black. The thing is...the blind is black, all black. There are no ties or loops to hang brush on, to brush it in, like normal groundblinds have. A few branches could be leaned up against it, I suppose.
This is the model that I have:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

Are turkeys stupid enough for me to set this ice shelter up, like a normal groundbling and hunt out of it with my decoys?

Your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

If you place someone with black clothing in a blind that is blacked out on the inside and has camo
screen in all of the windows you wont be able to see them ether , so are they stupid ? I think not.

There eye sight is second to none and if you can defeat that ability you should do fine.

Try bow hunting without a blind or a shoot through screen and the results will not be as good
with a bow because you have to draw the bow , and any movement will alert them and make
it a lot harder to be successful.

Or try to still hunt a turkey with a bow. In a 1 on 1 with a turkey you will lose.

But outsmarting them is half the fun.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-12-2012, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member

We must have some of the dumbest turkeys known to man in id the way you guys are talking. Im not kidding the majority of the turkeys i have killed is either drive by them on fourwheeler and shoot them, drive down the road see them, step out of truck off the road and shoot them or one when i was young i walked across a couple hundred yard open field. When i got to within a hundred yards they walked over the bank when i got to where they walked over they were just sitting the 10yards off the bank and i shot him. I havent shot to many turkeys the last couple years simply because i have been working out of state during turkey season so maybe its changed in the last four years or so.
Old 12-12-2012, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
We must have some of the dumbest turkeys known to man in id the way you guys are talking. Im not kidding the majority of the turkeys i have killed is either drive by them on fourwheeler and shoot them, drive down the road see them, step out of truck off the road and shoot them or one when i was young i walked across a couple hundred yard open field. When i got to within a hundred yards they walked over the bank when i got to where they walked over they were just sitting the 10yards off the bank and i shot him. I havent shot to many turkeys the last couple years simply because i have been working out of state during turkey season so maybe its changed in the last four years or so.
Hear in Texas we have both the Eastern and the Rio grand. The Eastern is not as wary but they
are not stupid ether. the Rio grand however, Is in a league of their own.

Hunting pressure has a lot to do with how wary they are also if they have mixed with domestic
turkeys, they will still look the same but wont be as wary.

Even though their brain is the size of a marble, they have simple needs. Eat, breed and stay alive.

J E CUSTOM
Old 12-13-2012, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post

Have noticed the turkeys around Casper have very little in common with the ones on the farm in SE MN. The eastern turkeys have a parascope sticking out of their bodies and they USE it, no curiosity what so ever=If in doubt their GONE! Not sure what keeps the fools around here alive as they just dont seam to care about much at all?
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

Not real smart, but PARINOID AS HELL!

Big Buck walks through the woods......Every hunter he sees ...thinks it is a stump!

Old Gobbler walks through the woods.... every stump he sees ...thinks it might be a hunter!

Not far from the truth.

If they could smell....only way to kill them would be with the truck!

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2013, 02:22 PM
Gold Member

Turkeys are the stupidest/smartest birds out there. Here's why I think there stupid, have shot them using a white pvc pipe for decoy legs, have had more than one bird come right back after one of his buddies was just shot with a shotgun at 30 yards, last spring we archery shot a tom, his buddy flew a short distance and landed on a fence post, no shot for my partner, we picked the blind up and moved 10 yards while the bird was watching us, buddy killed him at 40 yards.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:49 AM
Bronze Member

I agree with the DIY blinds for turkey hunting. the right setup with branches and what not is too easy.