Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Fishing

Ice Fishing anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Ice Fishing anyone?

Here in N.W. Ohio, we've just not had the cold weather to create any ice that's fishable. It's just now getting below freezing, but it will be a solid week or two before it's safe to get out on the ice.

Last year, I was ice fishing by Dec. 22nd and the last good ice was Feb. 20th. However, it's not looing good for this year. February is still ahead of us, so there's hope, I guess.

Anyone ice fishing yet?
How thick is the ice in your location?

Thank you, Bowhunter57
Old 01-17-2012, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

Re: Ice Fishing anyone?

We have a few lakes that have enough ice to get out on, up here in NW Montana. But we're still way behind on the ice building as well. I took the kids out perch fishing yesterday and we just slayed em,but they were all tiny. I can usually start Salmon fishing on several lakes by xmas, but my favorite three lakes are still mostly open. We don't even have any snow on the ground here, and that is an amazing thing for this time of year. Must be La Nina or something. I think I'll stick to popping coyotes for another week or two.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

Since it's been nearly 30 days of posting this thread, I believe I can safely say that there will be no ice fishing this year.

I've been out several times with my kayak and the water temps are too low for them to bite. Sound crazy? I have no other explaination for why I wasn't catching anything in a local reservoir. I was jigging with minnows, spikes and mousies...at all levels and not so much as a nibble.

I've never had this many fish on the screen at one time and not catch something. A fishfinder shows where the fish are located, not whether they're biting or not.

Bowhunter57
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Gold Member

Just north of milwaukee we had 12" 4 weeks ago. But the warm spell we had got rid of most of it, now we have a lot of open water. I heard north central WI was around 14" last weekend. Deffinately a weird year
Old 02-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Silver Member

Two weeks ago in my grandmothers lake, water was 36*, hit like it was middle of summer on an all white $1 Walmart spinner.....no ice....
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Ice Fishing anyone?-forumrunner_20120215_183722.png