Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Fishing

Bluegills...again!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Silver Member

Bluegills...again!

I hit my favorite farm pond, today and came home with 22 keepers. I kept nothing less than 8" long and the filets filled a quart sized freezer bag. I can't wait to get them in a skillet and try them out.

There are only 8 bluegills in this basket, as I'd just began fishing. The thickness, vivid colors and strength of these bluegills were impressive. This pond is spring fed and has always produced quality fish, since the day that I discovered it, back in '86.

The freezer bag:

Bowhunter57
Old 04-01-2012, 10:43 PM
Silver Member

Re: Bluegills...again!

The catfish thread, and now this...I'm jealous. I need to get out on the water, and soon.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Sweet! What were you fishing with? Spinning rod, bait rod? I like using an ultralight spinning setup and Mepps rigs. They bluegills should be breeding around here pretty soon, but those are some big uns there my friend!
Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Silver Member

Also, how do you cook them? I haven't made bluegill in a long time, but I've enjoyed them fried before.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf393
Sweet! What were you fishing with? Spinning rod, bait rod? I like using an ultralight spinning setup and Mepps rigs.
Whitewolf 393,
I was using an ultra light spinning rod & reel with 4 lb. test line. I've had my best luck with 1/8 oz. jigs with purple or blue metal flake twiser tails. I fish them like swimming baits with a slow steady retrieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewolf393
Also, how do you cook them? I haven't made bluegill in a long time, but I've enjoyed them fried before.
I've been baking them in a glass baking dish, for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees and a little bit of butter...to add some moisture. However, pan frying them with a little vegetable oil is good too, just not as good for you.

Bowhunter57
Old 04-04-2012, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Sounds good. I think I'm going to rig my ultralight with 6lb test, in case a bass hooks into it. I was fishing the Potomac here last summer on an ultralight and a Largemouth took hold and broke the line. It was only 2lb test.

I'll try that recipe, but substitute olive oil for the vegetable oil. I don't like my fish to taste like fish
Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Silver Member

Now i need to go thaw out a bag!