Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Fishing

Beach fishing Namibia

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Bronze Member

Beach fishing Namibia

I seem to have the same affliction as a couple of other board members. When I'm not hunting, clay shooting, IPSC pistol shooting, then I'm fishing. One of my favourite spots is the west coast of Africa - Namibia. We try to target big sharks, the most common being the bronze whaler in these waters.

Got 18 hook ups in 2 days between 2 anglers. landed 1 (got bit off, stripped, pulled hooks, straightened hooks, ...). Going back in 2 months time, with some heavier tackle this time. The area is still fairly wild, and you often see jackals etc., hoping to grab a piece of bait, or your sandwich. Measured the landed shark at 8.4ft, which according to the tables is just over 220 pounds. Photo below is with me and a buddy both into different sharks at the same time.

Last edited by Len Backus; 01-15-2008 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Made the pix larger
Old 01-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Silver Member

do you guys use kayaks to paddle out your baits
Old 01-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Bronze Member

Generally no, we don't paddle out baits. Typically cast out baits, or slide bigger baits out. On occasion we do paddle out baits but this is only in harbours where there's no waves.

The sliding method is the most common method at the moment for getting bigger baits out. The modus operandi is to cast out a heavy sinker, typically 9 or 10 ounce, with thick wire grapnels to anchor. We then use a ring contraption to which the bait is attached to slide the bait out into deeper water, together with the wave action.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:36 AM
PUBLISHER

pvanwyk

What an adventurous place to live and play. I'd love to see your location put onto the GoogleMap.

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 01-15-2008, 08:10 AM
Bronze Member

Done. Unfortunately it's slap bang in the middle of the city of Johannesburg and not out in the dunes of the Kalahari desert, or the west coast beaches of Namibia.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

i've been flipped in the kayak a few times it can get pretty scary if the leader get tangled around you. i'm usaully pretty good at timing the breakers. we use slided lines off the jettys and piers we cast a surf weight out this is the anchor then we attach a clip kinda like you use on a outrigger we attach a leader from another rod to this then slide a live bait out so it is swimming on the surface of the water deadly on tarpon and kingmackeral . my biggest shark off the beach was 9 1/2 ft greater hammer my buddy has caught two tigers over11 ft and one that was 12.2 ft we mainy catch bulls (zambezie ) i think is what you call them over there and black tip reef sharks with the occasional tiger and greater hammer head
Old 01-15-2008, 09:12 PM
Silver Member

That really sounds like fun. Sharks that are around 10 feet would be really cool to catch from shore.