Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Fishing


Reply

Bamboo

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #8  
Old 11-04-2012, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,223
Re: Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I love to fish the Appalachians down in Tennessee, North Carolina, and West Virginia, all the way up to the PA border.. That's where pocket water is king, and I love it. My two favorite pocket water rigs right now are a ...........ng the way. I even had three or four places I fished on the way back home. Seemed like every year I found two or three new rivers to explore the next year. Have fished a little bit in California, and kinda want to do that one again.
gary
I'm pretty much a dry fly nut and follow the northeast hatches through the season from Quill Gordons in early spring through to the tiny olives in the fall. The small native Brookies are my favorite. Some of the streams are narrower than my kitchen table. They are like jewels. This is where a fine light weight bamboo shines. I haven't been around the country much but fished the upper Conn. River several years ago in Northern Nw Hampshire. Great fishing! One of my favorites at the other extreme is Striper fishing the coastline from Maine to Rhode Island. They can run from 2 pounds to 30+. For this is I use a 8-9 wt/9ft. Thomas and Thomas or Orvis graphite.
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:53 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,543
Re: Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I'm pretty much a dry fly nut and follow the northeast hatches through the season from Quill Gordons in early spring through to the tiny olives in the fall. The small native Brookies are my favorite. Some of the streams are narrower than my kitchen table. They are like jewels. This is where a fine light weight bamboo shines. I haven't been around the country much but fished the upper Conn. River several years ago in Northern Nw Hampshire. Great fishing! One of my favorites at the other extreme is Striper fishing the coastline from Maine to Rhode Island. They can run from 2 pounds to 30+. For this is I use a 8-9 wt/9ft. Thomas and Thomas or Orvis graphite.
when my son inlaw was posted at Ft. Bragg, they lived about five minutes from the Cape Fear River, and I always planed on doing afloat trip down that river, but never got the time. (really need a ten weight rod down there). I did do some nice coastal red fishing a couple times near the Sabene River on the Texas border. Never caught the fish I wanted but did get some serious break offs! Longest I caught was about thirty two inches, but there are some that are four feet long! The second hurricane went right thru the property I used to stay on, and pretty much did that fishing in for me. I mostly small mouth fish and large mouth bass fish around here. Caught a couple seven pounders and several six pounders over the years.
gary
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-06-2012, 01:31 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,543
Re: Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I'm pretty much a dry fly nut and follow the northeast hatches through the season from Quill Gordons in early spring through to the tiny olives in the fall. The small native Brookies are my favorite. Some of the streams are narrower than my kitchen table. They are like jewels. This is where a fine light weight bamboo shines. I haven't been around the country much but fished the upper Conn. River several years ago in Northern Nw Hampshire. Great fishing! One of my favorites at the other extreme is Striper fishing the coastline from Maine to Rhode Island. They can run from 2 pounds to 30+. For this is I use a 8-9 wt/9ft. Thomas and Thomas or Orvis graphite.
got the two reels ordered last week (gulp!) Finally settled on two Hardys as I just didn't have enough money to buy two more Lightspeeds. Doctor has me on lockdown for a while longer, so my fishing is pretty much done till Spring gets here (I hope). Got bit by a hand full of black flies back in June, and they created a major leg infection that eventually spead all over my body. Just can't get out and stand for long periods, but the steriods he has me on right now seem to be working very well (now all I do is itch all over). Turns out that there was a varity of these black flies that are extremely venomus, and I had seven bites on one leg and three on the other. There are three or four other known cases in my area and they didn't know what caused it till I came along (they thought they were spider bites). But we're rapidly getting better
gary
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,223
Re: Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
got the two reels ordered last week (gulp!) Finally settled on two Hardys as I just didn't have enough money to buy two more Lightspeeds. Doctor has me on lockdown for a while longer, so my fishing is pretty much done till Spring gets here (I hope). Got bit by a hand full of black flies back in June, and they created a major leg infection that eventually spead all over my body. Just can't get out and stand for long periods, but the steriods he has me on right now seem to be working very well (now all I do is itch all over). Turns out that there was a varity of these black flies that are extremely venomus, and I had seven bites on one leg and three on the other. There are three or four other known cases in my area and they didn't know what caused it till I came along (they thought they were spider bites). But we're rapidly getting better
gary
I'm a real fan of the Hardy reels and have managed to aquire a few over the years. They are all on my bamboo rods. The old Orvis CFO's were made by Hardy. That is where I really developed a liking for them.
That is really unfotunate that you contracted an infection from black flies. I never heard of it! I'm glad that it is under control and you will likely be back on the streams in the spring to put those Hardys to use!
Art
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,543
Re: Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I'm a real fan of the Hardy reels and have managed to aquire a few over the years. They are all on my bamboo rods. The old Orvis CFO's were made by Hardy. That is where I really developed a liking for them.
That is really unfotunate that you contracted an infection from black flies. I never heard of it! I'm glad that it is under control and you will likely be back on the streams in the spring to put those Hardys to use!
Art
I guess it's a rare strain of them as I've been bitten hundreds of times by them. But these were different! My calfs must have swollen up two inches bigger in diameter alone. Broke out with hives all over, and they wouldn't go away. (still have a few) Killed my deer hunting as well as my fishing this fall. (have a new inline muzzel loader I'm playing with).

I got all winter to stay busy tying flies, and maybe even developing a couple new rats for really big bass. (next time I get in the mood I'll tie you a couple). Also have a couple more gun projects in the works. (the 6BG is a go along with something new in 30 caliber)
gary
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-06-2012, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 2,223
Re: Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I guess it's a rare strain of them as I've been bitten hundreds of times by them. But these were different! My calfs must have swollen up two inches bigger in diameter alone. Broke out with hives all over, and they wouldn't go away. (still have a few) Killed my deer hunting as well as my fishing this fall. (have a new inline muzzel loader I'm playing with).

I got all winter to stay busy tying flies, and maybe even developing a couple new rats for really big bass. (next time I get in the mood I'll tie you a couple). Also have a couple more gun projects in the works. (the 6BG is a go along with something new in 30 caliber)
gary
I dont know if you ever tried this but it's all natural cedar oil made by Rose City Archery. I have been using it for years and it works great against Mosquitos, black flies, ticks etc. I make my own cedar arrows for long bow shooting. We have a big tick problem and I've had to be treated for Lyme twice.

Bugg Off

It's good that you have a lot to keep you busy!

Art
Art
__________________

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-06-2012, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: greenwood, IN
Posts: 3,543
Re: Bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I dont know if you ever tried this but it's all natural cedar oil made by Rose City Archery. I have been using it for years and it works great against Mosquitos, black flies, ticks etc. I make my own cedar arrows for long bow shooting. We have a big tick problem and I've had to be treated for Lyme twice.

Bugg Off

It's good that you have a lot to keep you busy!

Art
Art
I used to bow hunt a little bit years back, but pinched a nerve on the outside of my right rib cage. I can shoot about six or eight arrows right before I fell all the muscles cramp up. Never was what I'd call good at it, but it was fun. Brother inlaw is a champion archery shooter, and shot for several of the big name companies. Where I was striving for half dollar sized groups he was shooting dime sized ones all day long. He shoots a couple custom built recurves during hunting season (Black Widow I think). I saw him practicing once with his hunting bow years ago (Quadraflex) and the target shooters goto ragging him (he also shot tournament archery stuff) after he put his stuff up. He went back out to the truck and got his bow and hunting arrows, Changed the tips, and promptly shot a 60 with 57 in the X ring. The guy that owned the place told the other guys that he knew they were in trouble when they first opened their mouths. He did the same thing three years later with a guy I worked with that shot for Mathews.
gary
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you plan to buy a new custom rifle in the next 12 months?
YES - Of course - 72.91%
1,639 Vote
NO - wife/girlfriend won't let me. - 27.09%
609 Votes
Total Votes: 2,248
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC