Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Where in Texas?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:28 PM
Bronze Member

Where in Texas?

After my planned antelope hunt fell through, I'm thinking I would really like to do a hog hunt. I have a little extra money and I still want to do something. I'm thinking eastern texas. But I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which ranch to go to. I've read some horror stories online that scare me. Actually the only time I've ever payed an outfitter, it ended in disaster, so I'm a little trigger shy.
I'm really needing some advice, and maybe a point in the right direction. Though it would be nice, I'm not really to concerned about the long range thing. I'm a lot more worried about actually seeing something to shoot at.
So, do any of you have any experience that might help? This would be around a 20hr drive, so I'm really wanting to have a good time. I don't really need anything fancy, or even someone to clean what I shoot. Trust me, I can handle that. I just really want to have a nice hunt, with out braking the bank.
I have to use my vacation by mid-October.
So, any ideas?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:21 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Where in Texas?

Don't know about East Texas hogs but West Texas hogs move more in cooler weather. Here they are nocturnal only now and you usually see them right a sunup if at all.

So I would say the later you can go the better your chances.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:05 PM

Jonnie, take a look the Texashuntingforum.com. There is a outfitter/Guide section will several options and reviews.

Outfitters & Guides | Texas Hunting Forum

Hope it helps!
Old 07-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

I'm from Deep South Texas and manage a ranch in central Texas and hogs are a no brainer I would tell you to go to south Texas and you don't have to worry. My place and most the other places I've been around here in the West of San Antonio area hogs are everywhere. On my place I can shoot a hog every sitting. I don't have much experience on the other regions of Texas but I don't believe the populations are as good as the two regions I described and really the central Texas I'm talking about is right on the south Texas transition. If you want a goof pig hunt come to south Texas and find one of the ranches that do the hog hunt from helicopter now that's a good time
Old 07-26-2014, 06:45 PM
Bronze Member

I looked into the helicopter hog thing. It looked amazing!!! But it's just a little out of my price range. I'm a big fan of the do it yourself thing and was really having a hard time trying to weed through every bodies commercialized approach to this kind of thing. In my experience, states with limited public ground mean a lot of hunting pressure. And a lot of weird people in the woods. I was worried about giving somebody a couple hundred bucks just to wait my turn to sit at a feeder that might have something there. The other problem was I didn't want to drive 20 hrs just to hunt for 2 days and then run home. But keep in mind, being from Indiana, I have no idea how thick the hogs really are in texas. I ended up going with Prone Outfitters. Supposed to be north central texas, near the pan handle. They seemed like they were willing to offer something similar to what I wanted. I guess I'll find out in mid October. I'm going to take my 260 rem, and both 44 mags (rifle, and pistol) and see what happens. It's unlimited hogs, and I like pork, so we will see what happens.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:34 PM
Silver Member

I'm sure it will be a good hunt. Texas is full of hogs. Where I'm from spotlighting and feeding roads or feed areas is your best bet. It's just to thick to have a chance at them. I'm not into hunting them with dogs but that's another popular way that produces pigs. If the place your going is like most places in Texas getting a good amount of Higgs shouldn't be a problem. Good luck I hope it's a good hunt
Old 07-27-2014, 01:44 PM
Bronze Member

I really hope it's a good time. Texas will be my eight state that I've hunted in. I've done very well at my do it yourself hunts, and all on a "working mans" pay check. The only time I've ever payed to hunt, it ended in disaster. Never saw what "we" were hunting for. The guide had more guys booked than he claimed to book at once. And there were other guides with clients hunting the exact same area we were. I was NOT thrilled. That's what makes me a little paranoid. At least on a do it yourself hunt you know going in that the odds are against you. But that never stopped me from getting a couple elk and some deer and a few other things.
Like I said, I'll be down there in mid-October. I'm really looking forward too it. I'll post how everything went.