Old 04-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

What weapon better to hunt hog

What is better to hunt hog with a Bow, Shotgun, Rifle or Pistle
i am thinking about going hog hunting this year and need to know what to bring
Old 04-28-2009, 09:07 PM
Gold Member

Re: What weapon better to hunt hog

I think it all depends on what type of hog hunting you will be doing, and your expertise with each weapon. More details please!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

Depends on how many you want to kill. The bow is most sporting, pistol next, shotgun iffy, rifle deadly. In my opinion, nothing is more effective than a good semiautomatic rifle in .223 up to .30 cal. A variable power scope with a low bottom end magnification (2-3X) for large field of view when there is a bunch of them, and a top end of 7-9X for a single pig or longer range shots. Also my opinion, a match grade M1A with a good 3 x 9 scope is the best single weapon. A belt gun like a Gov't .45 makes a good back-up or close range weapon.

Good hunting, kill as many as you can. Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
A belt gun like a Gov't .45 makes a good back-up or close range weapon.
By "belt gun" do you mean something you wear on your belt, or a belt-fed auto rifle?
Old 04-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Platinum Member

Hadn't thought about a belt fed rifle.....

A couple of stories about pistols and shotguns though. I once emptied a clip of 10mm auto at 3 little shoats that never ran out of range without hitting any of them. That's when I started carrying a rifle all the time.

Some friends of mine quail hunting in South Texas shot a big sow with a shotgun 3 times (birdshot). Put one eye out and really pissed her off. She chased one of them through mesquite bushes and prickly pear, trying to knock him down and bite him, until one of them (an ex-bullrider) shot her head-on with his shotgun at about 10 feet. It only knocked her out. Another one then juked her with his knife while she was down. One of them was carrying a pistol, but in the excitement, forgot he had it. Just as well. He probably would have hit the man being chased, not the hog. After the dust settled, it took 3 of them to light 1 cigarette, and the rest of the day to pick the cactus spines out of the Mayor. Some were in places he had to pick out himself. No one would help with those........... I knew I was right about the rifle.

Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Gold Member

Just about any heavy hitting large .30 cal and up rifle does the trick... Me’…, I like my 1970 vintage top eject Win M94 in .44 mag; with 11 rounds of a good sold 250gr. Keith type bullet’s. The sight of choice are, Williams peep with “large aperture” As for my back up side arm; I carry an S&W M29 6.5” revolver with the same load as the rifle. As a holster I use an older front break Hoyt Police style holster, this makes for a very fast transition and draw from the holster if the weapon is needed, yet still comfortable to carry. Add two Safariland comp II speed loaders and you got pretty much all your ammo and weapons on tap.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:49 PM
Silver Member

If you have problem pigs, and need them killed, you can't beat an AR-15. I prefer a 16 inch barrel for portability and quick shots. Although I use a 223, I would recommend at least one in the 6.8 SPC, but the 6.5 Grendel is a Hog's worst nightmare. Going with this platform can allow you to configure your weapon for close quick action, long shots, night or day.

Kill em all, but leave me a couple, haha