Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

What do you hunt with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Bronze Member

Re: What do you hunt with?

Good looking lever action. Very nice. I showed up to a hog hunt many years ago with a marlin 45-70 lever gun. Folks chuckled at me and said they'd loan me a deer rifle if i couldn't afford one. When the smoke and dust cleared, the joke was on them

got this hog over the weekend. hunting conditions were bad, definitely in favor of the pigs. a little wind helps my approach, but 30+ mph winds make it hard to hold steady. add rain and sand to the mix, and it becomes difficult to see at all, let alone through the scope with water on the lens.

I only had one approach to the herd due to wind and terrain. as I crested the top of a subtle terrace, a big boar guarded the path. I waited for him to move and hopefully join the herd, leaving the scope cover closed most of the time to keep water out and shielding the rifle to keep sand out of the action. I would have liked to take out quite a few along with the big one, but it wasn't to be. after getting soaked and sandblasted for 30 minutes, I was out of patience and options. I took out the guard hog with one shot to the shoulder and the herd was spared… for now.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

How is this for a Hog hunting rig LOL.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Bronze Member

I use every thing from a 17 Mach2 to a 375JDJ but my AR-223 w/36gr Varmint Grenades do the best its all in the placement, in the ear and they are down in their tracks. This is one the wife got w/her 264lbc (6.5 Grendel) this week end.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
What do you hunt with?-img_0682.jpg   What do you hunt with?-img_0679.jpg  

Old 07-27-2013, 07:05 PM
Silver Member

Djones ,
You got a good story and pics ,,, wow ,, Kool.
That gun is really something too....
Old 07-29-2013, 06:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones View Post
I too am a proponent of the one shot, one kill philosophy… for game animals. One shot is usually all you get! For hogs, however, I have heard that sometimes multiple shot opportunities may exist.

That's purely academic of course, as I probably read it on the internet somewhere. Surely no one has the ability to rack up double digit kills at one time…

unless... ummm... unless you're the most interesting man in the world!

Mr Jones, I know its a bit much to ask. But if its not too much, could I ask you what all brands/calibers AR`s you have? Nice looking rifles, that almost looks like a GAP 10 or POF but I cant say for sure. Also, what are those bolt rifles you posted up? Looks like one is a Savage .338 LM 110 but I cant tell the others.

Thank you sir.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

sometimes i use a colt sp1 223, but not very much. just wanted to try out the acog scope. sometimes I mount a pvs14 to it and use an ir laser.

the night rig is a dpms lr 308. I'm glad I got it before I knew I certain brands had a cult like following or I would have suffered brain damage picking one. it just happened to be in stock locally, so I got it. that rifle has gone through many cosmetic and functional changes, most noticeable is the prs stock, but it's basically still a dpms.

one of the bolt actions is a savage 110 ba in .338 lapua. should have a thunder beast can for it this week! one is a custom remington in 6.5 creedmoor. one pic shows a barrett 98b in .338 lapua, but it's not mine. i just used it cause my buddy already had his can.

you mentioned a pof. he's got one of those too and i'm very jealous

if only i had been born rich instead of good looking...