Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

What do you hunt with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2013, 11:04 PM

Re: What do you hunt with?

djones, that's some serious pig kill'n. Really cool stuff.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:47 AM
Bronze Member

thought the super moon would be better, but had quite a bit of cloud cover. still managed to sneak up on some using an irrigation pivot for cover. got as close as i could without getting soaked from the spray and made a few lucky shots.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member

djones- Where do you mostly hunt, town, county? We rarely have hogs the size you shot anymore because of the helicopter that comes several times during the winter thins out the big ones. Those are nice. I've only shot one that weighed 300 lbs. and that was several years back. Here most are 150-175 and down.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:48 AM
Bronze Member

i'm hunting in the texas panhandle area, wherever i can find them. helicopters have taken their toll here too. it's hard for hogs to escape the chopper. if the pilot can drive them out of cover the whole herd gets wiped out.

funny you mention the weight of hogs. the pair in the previous pic aren't that big. probably not much over 100lbs, but i really donít know. the single was hard to move around, but i'm old now and they all feel heavy to me! positioning the camera close to the ground and close to the hogs makes them look a lot bigger, especially if you squat down behind them. friends tease me lot about sitting too far behind them , so now i put the rifle in front of the hogs to prove i'm not that far back.

once i weighed a hog that looked A LOT bigger than me on certified scales. he only weighed 175lbs. I couldn't believe it. i got some game scales and weighed a few after that. i ALWAYS guessed too heavy. they were big, but not as big as i thought. the scales didn't last very long bouncing around in the truck, but here are pics of some of the hogs i weighed.

213lbs

266lbs

294lbs

Old 06-25-2013, 02:30 PM
Silver Member

djones These weights are live weight arnt they??(eg not gutted)
Ive seen alot of "info" on the weights on pigs in the usa and most of them seem to be greatly exagerated. As you said most pigs arnt much over 100lb. If you weigh everything you catch it can be bit dissapointing haha especially if you have carried them for a while.
A 200lb pig(gutted) is bloody big pig. Not many are caught bigger than that here in New Zealand.
Do you get most under the spotlight?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:53 PM
Bronze Member

none of the hogs were gutted, and many probably had a few pounds of mud on them! tv shows are real bad about boasting of a weight for a hog that is laughable.

don't use spotlights anymore. i have resorted to the easy (lazy) method of driving farm/ranch land with the lights out using a pvs14 to see. once spotted, approach on foot without getting winded. the closer i get, the more shots i can take before they're out of sight. i may be shooting at aholes and elbows, but it's certain none are going to die if i'm not firing

if the vehicle spooks them on the approach, i'll drive into them if possible. sometimes that turns out even better if i can stay within pistol range!

Old 06-28-2013, 03:58 PM
Bronze Member

djones the reason I asked was in your photos you have shown pivots and no till cotton in wheat stubble. I live on the North Pease River in Motley Co. and thought you might not be that far from me.