Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

TX Pig Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 PM

TX Pig Hunt

A buddy of mine asked me if I'd be interested in a mid range hog hunt. Absolutely! he had feeders set up at 550 yards and 405 yards with a protein feeder at just under 200 yards. After a wild 4 wheel drive, a flat tire, and a pleasant hike in, we arrived at our shooting position.

Here's a picture of the feeder at 550 yards at 3X zoom.

This is the feeder at 405 and the protein feeder in the foreground. Again, theses are at 3X zoom.

A few showed up at the 550 feeder a couple hours before sun down. We tried to set up a simultaneous shot but the pigs would not cooperate and my buddies decided I needed to shoot before they were all gone. Lucky for me, the pig I was on happened to be the stupid one. I connected.

Here is a picture of the entrance wound.

I was shooting a Rem. SPS Tactical AAC/SD in a B&C Stock with a Timney trigger. SWFA SS 16X glass. Ammo was Hornady Superformance 178 grn. match.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Bronze Member

Re: TX Pig Hunt

Looks like an awesome hunt bud. Great shooting, where were y'all hunting? I can't wait to get out to my property this next weekend and whack a few
Old 06-07-2013, 06:23 AM
Gold Member

Pigs are fun, I'm curious why you would blank your faces, were you trespassing or just hiding from the law?

Old 06-07-2013, 10:30 AM

Thanks. Nothing illegal in the least. I don't post pictures of my face for the same reason I don't post my home address or credit card information. Not to mention, my ugly mug doesn't add to the story at all. I'm not that narcissistic.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:26 PM
Bronze Member

helluva shot - especially from that distance! and don't be so bashful. no one from texas could be that ugly
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 PM
Silver Member

this is a little off topic, but im going to be in texas sometime later this year for an army class..im hopping to get a little pig shooting in on my free time.. ill be close to fort hood. can you PM me some info if you have any. im looking for public or privet land. just want to have a little fun when during my stay