Those Were the Days

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Those Were the Days

coy,
rumor has it you also like your hogs under your tires lol

bb,
good to hear from you. i've been keeping track of your nv projects. you're always on to the coolest stuff
Old 12-19-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djones View Post
bb,
good to hear from you. i've been keeping track of your nv projects. you're always on to the coolest stuff
Djones -

I appreciate the shout out on the NV stuff, I got loads of video for more reviews but these things take time.

I'd sure be interested in joining up with you on a hunt sometime and putting a digital scope in your hands to record your mastery.

I've long since appreciated your skills with the boomstick but come to think of it I don't recall any video footage of your work...

Oops there I go being a bad influence on you ;)

BB
Old 12-20-2013, 05:39 PM
Bronze Member

funny you should mention filming. i have a friend that has one of the old model n550 digiscopes. he attached a mini dvr, but it was klunky. he shot this video about two years ago. the hogs were 120 yards when we opened fire and the one he shot was about 80 yards when he dropped it. this vid is actually the sight picture through his scope on an ar15. i'm standing beside him with the suppressed ar10.

this is what we ended up with

Old 12-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

last night pigs were out all night. unfortunately three stalks were on hogs surrounded by deer, and they won't tolerate any foot traffic. before i could get in range, the deer would scatter and take the hogs with them. i cracked the security system by entering from one direction to drive the deer out the opposite side, then doubled back to make a clean approach on the hogs.

that worked on the next three herds, and i do mean herds... each 35-40 strong. i'd close in to a comfortable range like i've done a thousand times, drop the biggest hog first and follow up with the closest ones. problem was, however, pigs just weren't dropping. i know for a fact i hit the white hog 7 times because i heard every impact. he just wasn't going down. hell he wasn't even slowing down. after the 7th shot i gave up and moved on, rolling the next hog. by then the others were too far even for me to waste lead on, which is pretty damn far. the white hog finally died of lead poisoning.

similar experience on the white face pig. he took at least 5 shots before rolling up. granted the shots weren't all that great, but i expect a hog hit 5 times to at least stop or fall down or something.

by 5:00am the front blew in, and the gun was hard to hold steady. only two hogs from the last herd was simply the result of bad shooting.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:29 PM

D -

Outstanding video - thanks.

The n550 was a first generation digital scope, they've improved since then so you can reach out and touch someone alot further. With the land being flat and open as depicted in the video it'd be a hoot.

Always available to head your way Sir.

As for last night, that is an interesting story. I have seen hogs use cows and deer for cover but usually they are lone, maybe 2 hogs at most. But from what I am reading you had herds of hogs moving with herds of deer. Almost in coordinated fashion, I'm sure the deer DO mind and the hogs DONT.

What will those piggies think of next......

BB
Old 12-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Bronze Member

Benny and or David could you please give us a primer on night vision scopes? Some of us have never used them or know much about how they work. Maybe include FLIR also.

Loved the video!!!
Old 12-22-2013, 05:11 PM
Bronze Member

Coy,

I think you kill plenty of pigs without NV! I would like to keep a few around that part of the world so i will always have something to eat. Did your hunters do any good this year? The guy leasing richard turners place shoots ANYTHING. He and his brother both kill baby mulies every year. 😒

Chuck