Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

post hole baiting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Silver Member

Re: post hole baiting

I remember talking to a guy who did that very same thing with a pvc pipe only tossed a bell on the end and hunted it at night with a good bit of luck. I may have to give it a shot.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:49 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Rob View Post
I have seen a similar thing done here but it was a 4 inch PVC storm water pipe, 4 foot long screw on capps at both ends and a bunch of holes about the size of a corn kernel in it.

It was tied by one end to a tree, the pigs hung around for ages rolling it around to get out the corn and never saw the shooter arrive, line up and nail all 4 pigs.

Easier than a hole and much more portable.

Did you do anything special with the bait? like add pig wild or any other attractant?
Old 10-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Bronze Member

The bait was corn and wheat soaked in milk and left for a few days to go off
Old 11-06-2013, 11:50 AM
Silver Member

i dump some cheap large containers of strawberry cool aid in my post hole mixed with the corn. big red soda would work just as well.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:01 PM
Silver Member

If you are hunting an area with no cows, use cattle "cubes" in the post hole. Strong odor to attract them and they love them. Come in 50 # sacks at feed stores, tractor supply, etc.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Bronze Member

A couple of friends did this with corn and the bait lasted a while. They said after a week it looked like somebody had set off a bomb.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Bronze Member

We have several areas that we bait holes with corn. We've used dry corn right out of the bag, dry corn with cherry jello mixed before we dump it in the hole, corn with beer dumped over it, but the best has been to mix a concoction as if you were making a mash. (NO I DON'T MAKE WHISKEY) fill a 3' hole to about 6" from the top and fill remainder with dirt. The wet mixture will absorb into the ground and the hogs will keep coming back and rooting around even after the corn is gone. Give the hole 24 to 48 hours to start working and use your game cameras to find out when the holes are getting hit. With some cover you'll probably get some daylight action. If the area is pretty open count on night time action.