Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

post hole baiting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2013, 09:26 PM

post hole baiting

I've tried this the past few years and it seems to work for me. I'm wondering if this is common practice or if i'm giving away an old cajun secret... Not many people seem to do it around here, but i don't want to teach them ;) If not, what technique, if any, is the norm for baiting hogs among the internet world? Thank you for your time.
(dig a post hole 4' deep and put corn in it.)
Old 08-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: post hole baiting

I have done it and it works good, you can burn some honey around the hole to bring them to it.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Bronze Member

What are you baiting for, hogs? Would it work for bear? How much corn do you put in it? I can see it working for other animals.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM

I tried this technique for baiting hogs in North Georgia in the summer time. I dug a hole about 3 feet deep and filled it up with corn and Hog Wild beast feast but since it smells like berries I could not keep the dern bears out of it. There will not be any hogs around if there are bears on your bait.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:58 AM
Silver Member

Technique works great. Where I'm from in Texas, we use corn with Big Red soda poured over it...cheaper than Hog Wild and seems to work longer since it soaks all the way to the bottom of the hole.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:20 PM
Silver Member

I've tried this myself dug some hole 2.5-3ft deep corn and pig out was dumped into the holes came back a 2 weeks later to several totally rooted up holes. I'm trying it again, going to try and get them coming to the bait holes on a more predictable and frequent basis.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 PM
Bronze Member

I have seen a similar thing done here but it was a 4 inch PVC storm water pipe, 4 foot long screw on capps at both ends and a bunch of holes about the size of a corn kernel in it.

It was tied by one end to a tree, the pigs hung around for ages rolling it around to get out the corn and never saw the shooter arrive, line up and nail all 4 pigs.

Easier than a hole and much more portable.