Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Pointed South

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Pointed South

Thanks for the good read! Always shoot hogs Low and Behind the shoulder esp with a pistol with a slow bullet. They have nothing but the bottom of the ribs and hide there plus it will trash the lungs. Have killed more than I can count that way. Pulled a shot on a running sow once and the 338 Lapua 250 gr SMK at almost 300 yards left a softball sized exit wound in the center of the shoulder AND she still ran 300 yards!
Old 05-19-2010, 06:56 AM
Platinum Member

A lot of people, and that includes myself, are looking for a place to hunt hogs on public land within driving distance of the Atlantic Northeast region during the slow part of the year. This thread pretty much explains the issues and likelihood of success if you go to South Carolina. There are other WMAs in South Carolina that are in the upper part of the state and some of them have different seasons. But no matter where you go on public land in SC you are going to find animals that have been hunted hard and are extremely well educated and spooky. You should only go if you really enjoy hunting hard and long. No need to take a big cooler your first trip because you won't need it.

Its not long range hunting but its an opportunity to get out and see some different wildlife and scenery.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

BB, good job, pretty much summed up the thread in one post. I'm in the same boat, trying to find hogs within driving distance of Va/Md.

The area you hunted in SC sounds like you need more than one hunter to be sucessful, a group effort to locate and then pinpoint the hogs. Definately a tough hunt.

I guess the search continues.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

BB, good honest hunting story, thanks for sharing. Oh ya, your line about "rat migration into their places of business", had me in stitches. I use to do the NY metropolitan commute and never heard it put like that.