Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Pointed South

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

Pointed South

It has been a long snowy winter with little hunting the last couple of months. In desperation for something to do I am heading down to Palachucola WMA on the South Carolina and Georgia line to see if there are actually pigs there. Its about a 10 hour drive and the season is only Thursday, Friday and Saturday. The best I can say is that it is better than sitting around home waiting for Turkey season.

All the gear has been sorted out and the truck is ready to roll. My hope is that I will find some good places and then when the season opens up for three more days in May that I will have enough knowledge of the area to actually kill something.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Gold Member

Re: Pointed South

Let us know. Seems all us VA Lrh.com guys are looking for hogs as we're all in the sane boat. Long winter with nothing to hunt till turkey season.

Trebark and I are following up some leads in culpepper, I'm flying to Texas next Tuesday for 5daya of hog hunting and my dad has given up, he's importing pure bred Russian boars from Michigan, in 3 months tops we will have hog hunting on our fenced 200acre farm, may not be a true wild hunt, but it's 40minutes from DC.

Hey if you need a spotter on one of your trips, let me know!

Looks like you'll have a great trip. Definetely beats sitting at home!! Good luck hopefully you see some piggies.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Hey BB...have a great trip and whack some hogs. I keep seeing this TV show which claims that the hogs are takin over the world down south. Hope you get a shot! In California, all my hogs go to Dave's meat in Modesto...he makes some excellent medium spice Italian sausage. He mixes in some domestic pork fat and those sausages are tasty...I'm making myself hungry...think I'll go cook some up right now....BE safe! 30-338
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 03-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

If we kill more than 3 or 4 at a time we will put chains around the head to pull them into an open field so the buzzards can see them!! If you can always shoot the sows and if they have little piglets with them all the better because they will stay wil mom and you can get rid of them as well. We use pistols to make it sporting on the piglets.

The Speedy built Warp 7 kills yet another of the vermin----this was a point bank shot a little over 400 yards.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:33 PM
Silver Member

Not thread hijack...thread expansion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Hoss View Post
If we kill more than 3 or 4 at a time we will put chains around the head to pull them into an open field so the buzzards can see them!! If you can always shoot the sows and if they have little piglets with them all the better because they will stay wil mom and you can get rid of them as well. We use pistols to make it sporting on the piglets.

The Speedy built Warp 7 kills yet another of the vermin----this was a point bank shot a little over 400 yards.

Boss...Never heard of the Warp7. But being a hog hunter, the point blank range zeroing is very useful for these critters...seems like they are always "bobbin and weavin" What is the speed of the Warp 7, which bullet do you use and what is your zero?
και ο μη εχων πωλησατω το ιματιον αυτου και αγορασατω μαχαιραν... Luke 22:36
Jesus said "...and whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one" Luke 22:36

Jack Webb lectures the Prez http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4r6YCUtxfs

How to pray for the man in the White House
Psalm 109:5 http://bible.cc/psalms/109-8.htm
Old 03-20-2010, 06:36 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like it could be hit or miss based on the National Ferel Swine Map (see attached link):

NFSMS: National Feral Swine Mapping System:::::::::::::::::::::SCWDS Lab

Irregardless, best of luck, enjoy and let us know how it goes.
Old 03-20-2010, 08:01 PM
Platinum Member

Got your PM-----With the load development I have done so far the 150 SMK avg 3290----will check my logs but that load has less than 10fps for 5 shots and has never shot worse than .5 nor better than .2.

Everything that has ever had a 150SMK launched towards it has died!