Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

This may be a dumb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 AM
Platinum Member

Re: This may be a dumb question

Most of the time I make sausage out of the pigs and would only save the back straps for cooking, cleaning and preperation is the key to all game meats.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM

WyoElk2Hunt;

I have to agree with the cleaning and preparation.

Matt
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Bronze Member

Dieseldoc has the right advice, cook it to 165, not the 140 as per the gov't pork recommendation!!!

First, I gotta say that I hog hunt often and always eat the meat. It's delicious. But, in the interest of having well informed masses, I gotta play devil's advocate for a minute.

Alot of older people (I'm assuming since you called him an old coot), especially in the south, remember a time when eating hog (and alot of other omnivorous/carnivorous game) was a good way to get Tricosinosis. It's an infection of roundworms in the intestines associated with undercooked game and even the pork you get at the grocery store. Over the last 50 years or so increased FDA regulations and better producer/consumer awareness have nearly wiped it out. There are only a few (<5) reported cases a year these days in the U.S, although it is re-emerging in China and other countries where they feed livestock raw meat as feed.

Not trying to scare anyone away from game meat, but I don't want anyone getting hurt either. Just use common sense with what you cook (like nothing hunted near a landfill) and how you cook it (nothing "rare") and you will be perfectly fine.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:22 PM

It ain't killed us yet.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:54 PM

Thanks again for the replies.

Wolverine; Nice looking Bar-B-Q and a fine looking rifle.

I am going to wait until the weather gets cooler.

Thanks again

Matt
Old 06-11-2011, 10:09 PM
Gold Member

Just go to texas and hunt the wild hogs down there. They are excellent, esp over an open fire. You'll be convinced in a hurry!!!

P.S and i'll asure you that you will live long enough to come back and tell all of us here how it went and how much you want to go back for seconds!!!
Old 06-18-2011, 05:35 AM
Gold Member

I have eaten hog my whole life the only thing is the boars are not the ones you want get a small sow clean and cook it right and you will love it. I run hog hunts down here in south Texas and the boars usually get left where they fall are we have a little fun with them. In the hot months the fleas are so bad i won't touch one.