Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Is this legal in TX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Is this legal in TX

My conclusion was that it was legal and used it. In fact I used it last weekend also on my second trip to TX.
Old 12-28-2008, 09:50 AM

Nice... any pics to share from the evening..? I will be heading home in Jan .. hoping to have some fun shooting at some hogs..
Old 01-12-2009, 09:10 AM

BTW,

The possum cops told me just to call the sherriff's dispatcher after hours for night hunts.

I love Texas.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Silver Member

I'm still trying to get the suppressor, but the PS-22 night sight mounted in conjunction with my ACOG has been hell on them.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=eddybo;242936]I am heading to uvalde for a deer/pig hunt next week. The outfitter indicated that he was going to allow us to hunt pigs at night. Can I use a supressed .300 Whisper and night vision for shooting pigs at night?[/QUOTE)

I read the entire hunting regulations book and have to agree with "dwm" that suppressors
are not legal.

Farrel hogs are listed as Exotics and there is no mention of suppressors any where in the
regulations ,for or against.

So the fact that the only place that mentions a suppressor says it's illegal on a firearm
I would not use one or even carry one.

You could talk to the game warden (This is suggested in the hunting regs for night hunting)
before you show up and ask about using a suppressor but I bet the reception would be
very cool and would probably assure that you would get a visit from him on your hunt.

I have lived in Texas all my life and have never seen or heard of a suppressor being used.

If you plan your shots you will kill more hogs than you want to clean. (With most rifles you
can take 2 or 3 hogs with the first shot if you are patient).

Enjoy your hog hunt and good luck !!!

J E CUSTOM
Old 06-03-2009, 08:54 AM
Silver Member

One more time..........

From the Texas regs:

"Nongame Animals (Non-Protected): Any lawful firearm, pellet gun, or other air gun is legal."

Hogs are not considered game animals.

I spoke with a TX game warden about using suppressors on predators........he researched the law and found that suppressors are legal for non game animals.........

Do you think I made this up???

Why would a game warden tell me something, after researching the question, that wasn't true???
Old 06-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Silver Member

Under Means and Methods

It specifies that the following is specifically reffering to Game animals. Thus supressors+game animals = illegal, but supressors+anything else = legal.

You must read this like a legal document. When it specifically bars you from a activity it will always specify when and where it is barred, but it is implied that anytime or place other than that listed is OK.

Sometimes you shouldn't look for what's there, but rather for what's missing.