close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Reply

How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #43  
Unread 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Official LRH Sponsor
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
Posts: 7,616
Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1105 View Post
Nice shot, nice pigs. I use a bigger caliber because where we hunt we use a old Army Jeep to cover more area. The pigs there travel alot and you'll see them one night and then maybe not again in that spot for a couple of weeks. So staying in a stand or blind is usually worthless. Only the smart pigs survive, the rest are in the freezer. But then you're taking moving or running shots, so that sweet spot behind the ear is gone. I have had faster drops with the AK round that even a .308 I guess big and slow expends all the energy, instead of passing thru.
Actually the larger of the two in the picture above was shot free hand with me standing in the middle of a wheat field. The smaller took one shot behind and below the ear.

The larger took one behind to the heart on the run, and was anchored with a second behind and bellow the ear.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  •   #44  
    Unread 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,616
    Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sokpoke View Post
    Nice work!Is that a CZ? I shoot a CZ 527 American for the close work. By the way, the vehicle license and the landscape look like south Texas. I spent 5 years in Carrizo Springs.
    Yes it is, with the single set trigger. Damn that trigger is sexy!

    I'm in far north Texas about 50mi SW of Wichita falls. Those two were killed aobut four miles due east of town.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote

      #45  
    Unread 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Ardmore, Ok.
    Posts: 12
    Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Yes it is, with the single set trigger. Damn that trigger is sexy!

    I'm in far north Texas about 50mi SW of Wichita falls. Those two were killed aobut four miles due east of town.
    OK. I grew up near Lawton, Ok. Born in Pampa, Tx. and now live in Ardmore, Ok.

    I agree, regarding the single-set trigger! I wish every rifle had that feature. Combined with their inherent out-of-the-box accuracy, the single-set trigger makes the CZs some fine shooting production rifles.
    Reply With Quote
      #46  
    Unread 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,616
    Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sokpoke View Post
    OK. I grew up near Lawton, Ok. Born in Pampa, Tx. and now live in Ardmore, Ok.

    I agree, regarding the single-set trigger! I wish every rifle had that feature. Combined with their inherent out-of-the-box accuracy, the single-set trigger makes the CZs some fine shooting production rifles.
    Ahh, we have another member here who's from Ardmore. We were going to try and get together last week to do some shooting but he had some family issues pop up.

    If you look at a map, I'm about 90 miles almost due south of Altus in Baylor county.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #47  
    Unread 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Ardmore, Ok.
    Posts: 12
    Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Ahh, we have another member here who's from Ardmore. We were going to try and get together last week to do some shooting but he had some family issues pop up.

    If you look at a map, I'm about 90 miles almost due south of Altus in Baylor county.
    Are you allowed, by chance, to say who the other person from here in Ardmore is? Just curious if I know them.
    Reply With Quote
      #48  
    Unread 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
    Official LRH Sponsor
     
    Join Date: Feb 2011
    Location: N. Texas and S. Africa
    Posts: 7,616
    Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sokpoke View Post
    Are you allowed, by chance, to say who the other person from here in Ardmore is? Just curious if I know them.
    Well we've chatted publicly and I'm not sworn to secrecy so I'my sure it's not a problem. I'll pm it to you.
    __________________
    Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
    Reply With Quote
      #49  
    Unread 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM
    Junior Member
     
    Join Date: Feb 2012
    Location: Ardmore, Ok.
    Posts: 12
    Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    Well we've chatted publicly and I'm not sworn to secrecy so I'my sure it's not a problem. I'll pm it to you.
    Don't think I know him.
    Reply With Quote
    Reply

    Bookmarks

    Thread Tools
    Display Modes


    Similar Threads for: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    How much Energy is needed to take an Elk? texasmeathunter Elk Hunting 13 04-14-2013 10:42 AM
    Needed Energy for killing.... is it a myth?? *WyoWhisper* Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 57 07-27-2012 09:38 PM
    Energy needed ? trader388 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 3 05-05-2005 11:18 AM
    Ft lb of energy needed per lb of animal? trader388 Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics 5 02-29-2004 10:11 PM
    Energy Red Neck Long Range Hunting & Shooting 1 12-21-2001 08:16 PM


    All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:27 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
    All content ©2010-2015 Long Range Hunting, LLC