Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: How much Energy is needed to take an hog ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1105 View Post
Nice shot, nice pigs. I use a bigger caliber because where we hunt we use a old Army Jeep to cover more area. The pigs there travel alot and you'll see them one night and then maybe not again in that spot for a couple of weeks. So staying in a stand or blind is usually worthless. Only the smart pigs survive, the rest are in the freezer. But then you're taking moving or running shots, so that sweet spot behind the ear is gone. I have had faster drops with the AK round that even a .308 I guess big and slow expends all the energy, instead of passing thru.
Actually the larger of the two in the picture above was shot free hand with me standing in the middle of a wheat field. The smaller took one shot behind and below the ear.

The larger took one behind to the heart on the run, and was anchored with a second behind and bellow the ear.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokpoke View Post
Nice work!Is that a CZ? I shoot a CZ 527 American for the close work. By the way, the vehicle license and the landscape look like south Texas. I spent 5 years in Carrizo Springs.
Yes it is, with the single set trigger. Damn that trigger is sexy!

I'm in far north Texas about 50mi SW of Wichita falls. Those two were killed aobut four miles due east of town.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
Yes it is, with the single set trigger. Damn that trigger is sexy!

I'm in far north Texas about 50mi SW of Wichita falls. Those two were killed aobut four miles due east of town.
OK. I grew up near Lawton, Ok. Born in Pampa, Tx. and now live in Ardmore, Ok.

I agree, regarding the single-set trigger! I wish every rifle had that feature. Combined with their inherent out-of-the-box accuracy, the single-set trigger makes the CZs some fine shooting production rifles.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
OK. I grew up near Lawton, Ok. Born in Pampa, Tx. and now live in Ardmore, Ok.

I agree, regarding the single-set trigger! I wish every rifle had that feature. Combined with their inherent out-of-the-box accuracy, the single-set trigger makes the CZs some fine shooting production rifles.
Ahh, we have another member here who's from Ardmore. We were going to try and get together last week to do some shooting but he had some family issues pop up.

If you look at a map, I'm about 90 miles almost due south of Altus in Baylor county.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Ahh, we have another member here who's from Ardmore. We were going to try and get together last week to do some shooting but he had some family issues pop up.

If you look at a map, I'm about 90 miles almost due south of Altus in Baylor county.
Are you allowed, by chance, to say who the other person from here in Ardmore is? Just curious if I know them.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Are you allowed, by chance, to say who the other person from here in Ardmore is? Just curious if I know them.
Well we've chatted publicly and I'm not sworn to secrecy so I'my sure it's not a problem. I'll pm it to you.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Well we've chatted publicly and I'm not sworn to secrecy so I'my sure it's not a problem. I'll pm it to you.
Don't think I know him.