Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Hogs Take over Texas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

Re: Hogs Take over Texas

I was really bummed this past deer season. The bow hunters stuck a lot of hogs on our lease during bow season and they went nocturnal before rifle season opened. Didn't see one during hunting hours the entire deer season, Nov through Jan 5. They only came out at night and hid in the deep woods during the day.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

we have been having pretty good luck with snares
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM
Gold Member

Man, if I lived down there and had places to shoot them I'd be out as much as I could. I would do the same as some of the deer up here, either find a family that could use the meat, or see if there was any organization that would take the carcass (Hunters Feeding the Hungry, etc.)

When I lived in Southern Ca. and came back from some of the long range fishing trips on the ocean the Mormon Church would take any excess fish (in the round) and give you a reciept that equalled the market price of the fish. They would process them for the needy. Both parties were a winner. Tax write-off and food for someone that needs it to boot.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esshup View Post
Man, if I lived down there and had places to shoot them I'd be out as much as I could. I would do the same as some of the deer up here, either find a family that could use the meat, or see if there was any organization that would take the carcass (Hunters Feeding the Hungry, etc.)

When I lived in Southern Ca. and came back from some of the long range fishing trips on the ocean the Mormon Church would take any excess fish (in the round) and give you a reciept that equalled the market price of the fish. They would process them for the needy. Both parties were a winner. Tax write-off and food for someone that needs it to boot.
We try to do the same thing here in Texas but like everything else that the politicians and
tree huggers get involved in they screwed the Feed the poor program up because "Wild animals"
are not safe to eat .

So we just kill what we want to eat and leave the rest for the scavengers.

We normaly kill 8 to 10 per hunter during dear season and about the same the rest of the year
and they just keep multiplying.

A lot of people think that if they shoot a hog that it will ruin there dear hunt, Just the opposite,
because as long as the hogs are arround dear will not come to your hunting area.

I have killed hogs and not moved from my stand/hide and in a few minutes dear would appear
and actualy go up to the dead pig and look at him and walk off unafraid.

So we kill everyone we see.

They are fun to shoot and a timed feeder works the best because when they hear it go off they
can't wait ( That why they are called hogs ).

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-01-2009, 06:57 PM

Well I will offer my limited hunting skills to anyone who need help in some hog erradication.. I have plenty of time and bullets. Feel free to drop me a line.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:19 PM
Silver Member

Don't hold you breath, Kingrabbit.

One thing ya gotta know, for all their talk about the hog plague, Texans don't cotton to outsiders (or even neighbors) coming on their property to shoot hogs.

...and that's the plain truth.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisH View Post
Don't hold you breath, Kingrabbit.

One thing ya gotta know, for all their talk about the hog plague, Texans don't cotton to outsiders (or even neighbors) coming on their property to shoot hogs.

...and that's the plain truth.
Since they make some (or a lot) of their money for the year through hunting leases and day hunts, that's understandable...