Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Hogs on rimfire only WMA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2014, 07:03 AM

Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Your original post was a rimfire only area and for that discussion there is no significant difference between the 17 HMR and the 22 WMR at the ranges you are shooting hogs( with a rimfire). I have all 3 and like all three. My 22wmr in a Magnum research is just as accurate as my 17 hmr. Both guns shoot .75" at 75 yards, but the .223 has a greater variety of bullet design and weight. I shoot golf balls at 250 yards with my .223. Enjoy your 17, but if you want to reach out and touch one, at ranges beyond 150 yards , the centerfires will be the gun of choice. As I posted earlier if you like your 17 hmr you will love the 17 remington. No recoil and shoots like a laser beam for a long way.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCMTNBOY View Post
Your original post was a rimfire only area and for that discussion there is no significant difference between the 17 HMR and the 22 WMR at the ranges you are shooting hogs( with a rimfire). I have all 3 and like all three. My 22wmr in a Magnum research is just as accurate as my 17 hmr. Both guns shoot .75" at 75 yards, but the .223 has a greater variety of bullet design and weight. I shoot golf balls at 250 yards with my .223. Enjoy your 17, but if you want to reach out and touch one, at ranges beyond 150 yards , the centerfires will be the gun of choice. As I posted earlier if you like your 17 hmr you will love the 17 remington. No recoil and shoots like a laser beam for a long way.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:59 AM

Hi. New Here. Was Reading All This And Find That All You Missed ?????
The Remington 5mm Magnum. It Has The Flat trajectory of the 17HMR With The Knock Down Power of The 22Mag @ 100 Yrds. The Young Man Said That The WMA Was Rim Fire ONLY. There Is The 591 Clip Feed or The 592 Tube Feed. Thank You and God Bless
Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moa View Post
I hunt a WMA close to my house that has loads of hogs on it but its rimfire only. I have a 17 hmr and 22 lr but im about to buy a 22 mag to hunt these hogs. Looking for the best possible bullet in 22 mag to hunt them with and have found 50 grain bullets but if i recall they were hollow points. Would these work or would i be better of with maxi mags in like 40 grain soft points or tmj
Here is the original post. He has a 17hmr , 22lr and is buying a 22mag. He didn't ask is there a better rimfire(5mm). At rimfire range, I do not see a significant difference, but we all recommended a center fire as a better solution. Having said that I would never talk someone out of buying another gun .
Old 11-09-2014, 04:41 PM
Platinum Member

In my opinion ALL 22 calibers are to small. But with that said, you have to shoot them in the head
if you don't want to track/lose them so it really only matters what bullet you use.

I recommend the CCI 20 grain FMJs for the 17 HMR and 35 to 40 grain bullets for the 22 WMR
(No Hollow point).

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM
Old 11-09-2014, 05:45 PM
Silver Member

If you are going to do a rimfire you need penetration.

All of this talking numbers and quoting books is hilarious to me. WOW, we are talking rimfires. SO HERE IS THE REAL TRUTH. Shoot the hog in the head and kill it with what you desire, There is not that much difference. We are not comparing a 243 to a 500 nitro!
Here is a idea .Use a 22 mag in a semi auto Ruger and shoot it more than once if needed?
We are not comparing bullet drop or several hundred pounds of killing capability at longer ranges. You all are splitting hairs.
Old 11-09-2014, 08:00 PM

Thank You. I Enjoyed all The Replies. One Should Try All Three.!! Thank You and God Bless