Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Hogs on rimfire only WMA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2014, 12:32 AM

Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You are shooting bullets that have half the weight of the 22wm and no where close to the same energy as you increase the range.

You are also shooting much lower BC bullets which cannot be inherently more accurate than higher BC bullets.

If your .223's are not outperforming your little 17hmr you have substandard .223's at best.
Your wrong partner, look it up. The .17 is proven to retain more energy at range. And energy is not just based on bullet weight, it's also a function of speed. The .17HMR has marginally more power at range, and is definitely flatter shooting and more accurate.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You are shooting bullets that have half the weight of the 22wm and no where close to the same energy as you increase the range.

You are also shooting much lower BC bullets which cannot be inherently more accurate than higher BC bullets.

If your .223's are not outperforming your little 17hmr you have substandard .223's at best.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug76 View Post
Your wrong partner, look it up. The .17 is proven to retain more energy at range. And energy is not just based on bullet weight, it's also a function of speed. The .17HMR has marginally more power at range, and is definitely flatter shooting and more accurate.
-------------------------------
+1 and 10-4
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug76 View Post
Muzzle velocity: 2550 fps
Velocity at 100 yards: 1915 fps
Muzzle energy: 245 ft/lbs
Energy at 100 yards: 138 ft/lbs
Uses: Small game, Varmits

Ammo .17 HMR CCI V-Max 17 Grain Polymer Tip Bullet 2550 fps 50 Rounds 0049

Ballistics Information:
Muzzle Velocity: 1530 fps
Muzzle Energy: 260 ft. lbs.
Federal Game-Shok Ammo 22 Winchester Mag Rimfire (WMR) 50 Grain
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

GP, I can hang with you comparing the 17 to a 22Mag but the 17 should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as the .223. The .223 can launch everything from a 40 grain V-max to a 90 grain Berger. It's accuracy potential is well documented and I doubt the 17 would have any appreciable advantage in this department.

I have killed many many hogs with a .223 and it don't require a caliper to measure how far from the ear, eye, etc to place the bullet. The Barnes TSX fired from a .223 at top velocities will penetrate a hog end to end. Most shoulder shots results in a bang flop reaction, I have killed more than a few DRT (Dead Right There) running away hit in the root of the tail.

The 17 Rem would be a closer comparison but even it can't hang with the .223 Rem as a hog slayer.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
GP, I can hang with you comparing the 17 to a 22Mag but the 17 should not be mentioned in the same paragraph as the .223. The .223 can launch everything from a 40 grain V-max to a 90 grain Berger. It's accuracy potential is well documented and I doubt the 17 would have any appreciable advantage in this department.

I have killed many many hogs with a .223 and it don't require a caliper to measure how far from the ear, eye, etc to place the bullet. The Barnes TSX fired from a .223 at top velocities will penetrate a hog end to end. Most shoulder shots results in a bang flop reaction, I have killed more than a few DRT (Dead Right There) running away hit in the root of the tail.

The 17 Rem would be a closer comparison but even it can't hang with the .223 Rem as a hog slayer.
-----------------------
Perhaps you are right, let's strike center-fire from the discussion. That said I shot at a stray last night with one of my .223's and missed (again) at 69 yards. I certainly don't have much praise for the 1-9 barrels I have. I can't hit a beer can at 100yds to save my ***** with an AR15. With the .17 I can put it on any letter on said can. I'm sure doing something wrong. If this needs moved to .223 feel free........
Old 04-18-2014, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Trust me, it's not the AR platform or the .223 Rd. both are capable of very nice accuracy. I have an AR .223 built by American Precision Arms that regularly shoots 5 shot groups in the .2s
Old 04-18-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustus View Post
Trust me, it's not the AR platform or the .223 Rd. both are capable of very nice accuracy. I have an AR .223 built by American Precision Arms that regularly shoots 5 shot groups in the .2s
-----------------------------------------------
OK despite my age I guess I'm lacking in education what is ".2S"?
And are you will ling to tell me your AR will shoot a tighter group at 100 yds. than my .17 HMR?
--------------------------------
Footnote: went out today with the Windham Machinery after I took off that dammed 3x scope and put on a Rimfire Prostaff. It was shooting 4.5" high at a 100, so gave it eight clicks down and I am on the pop cans at 100. Windage is dead center, got to figure out where I want strike at 100, but she's gettin close. That said I'm doubting it will ever group with a good seventeen, no wind.