Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting


Reply

Hogs on rimfire only WMA

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 10-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,044
Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Federal Game Shock 50gr JHP will get the job done. I've killed several with a pistol and that ammo at 30-50yds.

Pick a spot two inches below the opening of the ear then back half way on the neck, or mid way between a horizontal line between the eyes and the point of the skull.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

I like the positive remarks I read here. That said, has anybody else but myself noticed the other remarks always tend to be so contrary? If you want to score with a .17 HMR, the posts suggest a no win must have a .22 WRM. If you have a .243 you must have a 30.06. If you have a 300 Win Mag, you must have a 338 Lapua. Me thinks those rocking chair hunters couldn't kill anything with an RPG! I don't think there is a mammal in America I can't kill with a .17 HMR in the eyeball at fifty feet. And please don't tell me I can't do that cause I can shoot the eye out of sparrow at 100 YDs. Thanks for enduring my first rant.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 7
Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Moa View Post
I hunt a WMA close to my house that has loads of hogs on it but its rimfire only. I have a 17 hmr and 22 lr but im about to buy a 22 mag to hunt these hogs. Looking for the best possible bullet in 22 mag to hunt them with and have found 50 grain bullets but if i recall they were hollow points. Would these work or would i be better of with maxi mags in like 40 grain soft points or tmj
Unless they are very close range, I recommend you use the .17HMR. Me and my hunting pal use the 17g V-Max and 20g XTP Hornady's with equal success. Head shots always, right under the ear, and hogs to 150lbs so far. Never fail so far.
The .17HMR retains greater energy beyond 50yds than the .22Mag, and the .17 is much more accurate.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,044
Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug76 View Post
Unless they are very close range, I recommend you use the .17HMR. Me and my hunting pal use the 17g V-Max and 20g XTP Hornady's with equal success. Head shots always, right under the ear, and hogs to 150lbs so far. Never fail so far.
The .17HMR retains greater energy beyond 50yds than the .22Mag, and the .17 is much more accurate.
That is not accurate.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-17-2014, 09:28 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
That is not accurate.
Why/How so? IMHO, the .17 HMR is more accurate at any range than the .22 WHR. I own both. So show me? I've taken a fair amount of game far in excess of 200 yds. Tell me I can do the same with any 22, including .223. I don't believe it, yes we shoot the .223 also, it does NOT group as tight as the seventeen at any range.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Halfway between Lubbock and Dallas
Posts: 5,044
Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Cobb View Post
Why/How so? IMHO, the .17 HMR is more accurate at any range than the .22 WHR. I own both. So show me? I've taken a fair amount of game far in excess of 200 yds. Tell me I can do the same with any 22, including .223. I don't believe it, yes we shoot the .223 also, it does NOT group as tight as the seventeen at any range.
You are shooting bullets that have half the weight of the 22wm and no where close to the same energy as you increase the range.

You are also shooting much lower BC bullets which cannot be inherently more accurate than higher BC bullets.

If your .223's are not outperforming your little 17hmr you have substandard .223's at best.
__________________
Without the First and Second Amendments the rest of The Constitution is Meaningless.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-18-2014, 12:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 11
Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
You are shooting bullets that have half the weight of the 22wm and no where close to the same energy as you increase the range.

You are also shooting much lower BC bullets which cannot be inherently more accurate than higher BC bullets.

If your .223's are not outperforming your little 17hmr you have substandard .223's at best.
----------------------------
You would have to show me on paper that any .22 mag or .223 will shoot a tighter group at 100 yds than the worst .17 HMR. I won't argue at longer ranges those bullets don't have higher BC but it they can't be put in the ear, still useless. At 300 yds I don't think one could even hit a pig with a .22 mag let alone the ear. That said I agree at 300+ the .17 HMR won't stop the pig, BC to low at that range. Have I mentioned I like the seventeen? Grin
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC