Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Hogs on rimfire only WMA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 05:32 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Hogs on rimfire only WMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snox801 View Post
Just a quick look led me to Winchester 40 gr fmj. I would go with these. You want as little expansion as possible. That round is way to small for pigs, but if thats all you can use then so be it. Just try and find the bullet that will provide the most penetration.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I've hunted hogs for 60 years within 5 miles of my home. good open sighted 22WMR will do great if yo are a good shot. A solid is imparative, If yo hit that thick shin and then2 or 3 inches of fat, a hollow point as lost most of it's punch. I've kiled many of them with my 9422.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
Hogs on rimfire only WMA-bgmomma.jpg   Hogs on rimfire only WMA-e.-river-dog-killer.jpg  

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM

I don't see any problem with a 22lr. My first pig I took was with my Winchester 290 semi-auto. I had a frontal shot and put 6 rounds of Remington target round nose into its head at 35yds & one into its chest when it turned away from me after charging at about 10yds.

I heard it crash in the brush not far away. Since your in an area where only rimfire is allowed I'd just make sure your shots count or have the ability to throw a lot of bullets into its head. Now that I think about it, I should have only shot the piglets....would'a been easier to drag out & clean. At the WMA shack it had she weighed in at 130lbs. Not that large compared to the ones I've seen online....but still heavy enough to drag & load myself in the pickup bed.

After that hunt, I made a trade for a Savage 24 in 223/20ga for my small game season hunting. Pig season overlaps all other seasons here in GA., but you can only use the weapons allowed for the season thats open on WMA land.

Good luck on your hunt!
Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikker View Post
I don't see any problem with a 22lr. My first pig I took was with my Winchester 290 semi-auto. I had a frontal shot and put 6 rounds of Remington target round nose into its head at 35yds & one into its chest when it turned away from me after charging at about 10yds.

I heard it crash in the brush not far away. Since your in an area where only rimfire is allowed I'd just make sure your shots count or have the ability to throw a lot of bullets into its head. Now that I think about it, I should have only shot the piglets....would'a been easier to drag out & clean. At the WMA shack it had she weighed in at 130lbs. Not that large compared to the ones I've seen online....but still heavy enough to drag & load myself in the pickup bed.

After that hunt, I made a trade for a Savage 24 in 223/20ga for my small game season hunting. Pig season overlaps all other seasons here in GA., but you can only use the weapons allowed for the season thats open on WMA land.

Good luck on your hunt!
Good thing it wasn't a big boar. One shot one kill. Use a larger caliber than a .22 caliber. I had 3, 150 gr. 30-30 rounds embed in the armor plating on a big calico boar one day, switched to a 30-06 165 gr that day.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebub View Post
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I've hunted hogs for 60 years within 5 miles of my home. good open sighted 22WMR will do great if yo are a good shot. A solid is imparative, If yo hit that thick shin and then2 or 3 inches of fat, a hollow point as lost most of it's punch. I've kiled many of them with my 9422.

Lee
+1

Use the heaviest lead or Full Metal Jacket bullet you can find. Head shoot if you can and gut shoot
the rest (I hate hogs and kill everyone I see one way or the other).

The only good hog is a dead hog. (We are overrun with hogs in Texas and they are hurting every
other type of hunting we have.

I have used every rifle I have from a 17 HMR to a 416 and even a 3 1/2' turkey load on several
occasions and prefer the big bores but if you can only use rim fires the 22 WRM is good with the
right bullets. The little 17 HMR also works good with the 20 grain FMJ if you head shoot them.

Good luck (Kill them all)

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-21-2013, 11:20 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Assassin View Post

Great info on shot placement. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

these were ear shot with a 22, so it can be done

Old 09-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Don't forget the shot gun if you can use them. Winchester makes a round called Dynapoint. A 45gr solid with a dimple in the nose and CCI makes a solid point but it does not give the weight on it. I must have had this box for some time, the price on the box is $3.17. I shoot a H&K 22mag that I have had for over 31 yrs. I have killed a lot of fox and coyote with this gun at 150yd or less. Less is much better.