Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Platinum Member

Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

I hear about all the rifles that are used to hunt hogs and just wanted to pass this along.

First I can attest to the fact that they can/are dangerous having been charged many times
by wounded hogs. I prefer to use a heavy load of shot from a 12 gauge for protection.

No matter what you shoot them with, If they are not dead don't go looking for them without
something that you can hit with close and fast.

I gust got an E Mail of a guy that was tracking a hog after it was poorly shot with a 300 win mag.

The hog surprised him and 57 stitches worth of cuts all over him someone finally killed the hog.

I would post the pictures but I,m not sure he would like that.

With the regular hunting seasons not far away I just wanted to remind everyone to be carefully,
Pigs are dangerous.

J E CUSTOM
Old 08-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Are Hogs Realy Dangerous?

Good, Timely reminder.

Took a couple of my Idaho bred Catahoulas to Conroe and north of DFW.

Working cows with them, the Idaho way, was an eye opener for them.

Getting the training pen with a bunch of pigs and a dog was an eye opener for me.

Mama pigs always ignored the dogs and came after the human. Me, in this case.

All they gave for protection was a hunk of plywood.

@ my first hog trial at Conroe, after the first four go 'rounds the score was hogs 4 - handlers and dogs 0...

One handler who had no business owning a Catahoula let a
Lone taking it in the trial pen, got a 6" slash just below he knee that any surgeon would be proud of.

Yep, I'd be cautious of ol Mr/mrs hog.....
Old 08-14-2013, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

My cousins hog dogs wear vests with carry handles on the back so the dogs are protected and he can grab them in a hurry if need be...hogs are no joke.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:17 PM
Silver Member

They are one pissed off animal. I got nailed by a 300lb sow in a briar patch. We were walking through going to a stand and we walked up on the sow and some piglets. She charged me and my buddy jumped up a poison ivy covered pine tree lol and i was in the open. She hit me so freakin hard next thing i know she knocks me off my feet. She goes past me and turns and charges back at me , luckily i always carry a pistol with me during bow season, as shes running at me i pull it of and pulled the trigger. That 230gr gold dot hp hit her in the head and she dropped. I went ahead and put a few extra .45s in her to be safe. Needless to say we didnt hunt bc i needed to go home to change my britches. They aint no joke!
Old 08-15-2013, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

+1 on the shot gun when me and my buddy go hunting one of us carry a rifle the other a 12 gauge with #4 buck shot. Better safe than sorry.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

On any occasion were tracking a wounded animal is involved my "go to gun" is always my 308 ar10 carbine loaded with 150 or 180gr core lokt soft points however, I have been pulling out my 12ga more frequently for my back up gun when going after hogs specifically, loaded with 3in magnum 00buck.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:59 PM

I am from S.C.,YES,Hogs are very dangerous !! There's a Biologist from UGa. @ Savanaha River Site that claims that wild hogs can't get that large. There isn't enough forage in the wild to grow/support hogs over 500 lbs. He needs to see the crop fields in S.C. & Ga., particularly the corn, soybean & especially the p-nut fields. I,personally have been treed 3 times. 1st. time it just scared me,no real danger. 2nd. & 3rd. times I somehow wound up between a sow & her piglets ;those times were real problems!! Hogs are omnivores, they eat any thing. I personally think under the right circumstances they prefer meat,especially when they are being baited by "that smell" that follows me when scared !" Ya'll be careful out there!" Paul