Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Hogs in Oregon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

I was told that there are a lot of hogs around Post, but that you need to talk to the locals and get permission from land owners. However, have also talked to a friend who is a retired Lane Co. deputy who still does volunteer work for the game dept. He said that their presence has been exaggerated considerably.

We were all ready to go hunting when he told us this. Now we don't want to take out a loan for gas to drive all the way over there just to find that it's true.

Unread 03-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Silver Member
I know that they are in eastern oregon around Spray. The problem is they move constantly. They will come and destroy a dirt road after a rainstorm and then they are gone. I would love to get one but they are hard to find.
Unread 03-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I was told by one of the locals from over around Silvies that they follow a cycle. He said that he and his brother will find a trail and sit and watch it everyday for a week or so. He said that they seem to come back around. He claims that his brother got 3 nice ones in one day.
Unread 03-23-2008, 11:51 AM
Silver Member

They're very destructive, and the WA game department is always trying to catch folks releasing them into the state.

Oregon wouldn't be a far drive for a viable hunt.
Portate bien o te lleva el cucuy
Unread 04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Silver Member
Here you go...

Appendix A is a map showing the piggies locations...

Keep us posted.

Good luck!!
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Silver Member
Thank you Old_heli_logger, very interresting. There is alot of good reading in it. I have found a place to hunt them already. Of course it is private property. It is as if they only hide out on private property. They are smarter then they look. LOL
Handgun Hunter
Savage Striker .308win. ss w/muzzle Break, syn. stock, 4-16 rifle scope, w/ .243, 270, and 7mm08 switch barrels. my LR specilty pistol
Rem. 700 VTR .243 my work in progress for LR shooting.
SBH Hunter .44mag w/ Red dot scope
If you don't like logging, then try plastic toilet paper!

Unread 04-23-2008, 04:20 PM
Bronze Member
Hogs in Oregon

Originally Posted by Rupe View Post
I keep hearing about hogs in Oregon, but I can't seem to find any info. on where to hunt them. If anyone out there knows where a guy could go to hunt one that would be great. Public land would be the cats meow. Thanks, Rupe
Since I don't live but 50 miles from Oregon and fish there often I thought I might poke around a little.

I have taken a moment to contact Oregon Fish and Wildlife. They provided me with a report on feral hogs in Oregon. The lady I spoke to informed me that while the state would like them all shot, most if not all of the populations are on private ground.

On the website for which I am providing a link, the last page identifies locations by county of feral hog populations.

Copy the entire URL to your browser.

Hope this helps.