Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

hogs are not a problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 08:07 PM
Silver Member

Re: hogs are not a problem.

I went to hog heaven fort Myers. He has free range and guaranteed pen hunts really great place to hunt.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

Ok I will stir the pot a little...... A friend from Colo gave me a package of pork cops from a couple hogs he and his son got in TX last month and I just finished one. Pan fried in a butter with Zatarans seasoning......steamed asparagus and mashed taters for sides. After eating it, I cant understand why there are all them hogs still running loose in TX!!! I would gladly trade some of these darn speed goats up here in WY for them tasty swine. I'll bet they would live on these prickly pear cactus that tend to be about everywhere I decide to sit down. I can just imagine what a 50 pounder would taste like slow roasted over charcoal.....mmmm

Old 03-26-2014, 06:07 PM
Silver Member

Now my mouth is watering.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdinger View Post
Ok I will stir the pot a little...... A friend from Colo gave me a package of pork cops from a couple hogs he and his son got in TX last month and I just finished one. Pan fried in a butter with Zatarans seasoning......steamed asparagus and mashed taters for sides. After eating it, I cant understand why there are all them hogs still running loose in TX!!! I would gladly trade some of these darn speed goats up here in WY for them tasty swine. I'll bet they would live on these prickly pear cactus that tend to be about everywhere I decide to sit down. I can just imagine what a 50 pounder would taste like slow roasted over charcoal.....mmmm

The hog problem is because they can breed so fast.

A breading par of hogs can have 12 to 18 hogs in a litter.

Within 4 months the litter can have there own litters of 12 to 18 because they tend to have equial
numbers of males and females the first litter can have 6 to 9 litters of 12 to 18 each =72 to 162
pigs + the breading pares 12 to 18. So in fore months you could have 180 new pigs.

In eight months that number can explode to 38 breeding pairs producing 684 new pigs, And on and on and on.

So no matter how many we kill they can out produce the hunting.

The only way we can hold our own is to mass trap them with very large traps several hundred feet square . there is a market in Europe for them if they are alive and some ranchers are trapping them to sell, others are selling hunts (Cheep).

So with proper conditions pigs can/do multiply like rabbets .

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-28-2014, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
The hog problem is because they can breed so fast.

A breading par of hogs can have 12 to 18 hogs in a litter.

Within 4 months the litter can have there own litters of 12 to 18 because they tend to have equial
numbers of males and females the first litter can have 6 to 9 litters of 12 to 18 each =72 to 162
pigs + the breading pares 12 to 18. So in fore months you could have 180 new pigs.

In eight months that number can explode to 38 breeding pairs producing 684 new pigs, And on and on and on.

So no matter how many we kill they can out produce the hunting.

The only way we can hold our own is to mass trap them with very large traps several hundred feet square . there is a market in Europe for them if they are alive and some ranchers are trapping them to sell, others are selling hunts (Cheep).

So with proper conditions pigs can/do multiply like rabbets .

J E CUSTOM
I'd like to know where you get cheep(cheap). Most hunts I looked at while in Texas were almost the same as for whitetail.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dust View Post
I'd like to know where you get cheep(cheap). Most hunts I looked at while in Texas were almost the same as for whitetail.

There have been hunts in the past offered on this site that all you paid for was the lodging, others that charged around $100.00 dollars a day and free lodging. that's pretty cheep compared to a white tail hunt.

There are some hunts that are more , but you just have to find the hunt in your price range.

Some ranches let you hunt hogs free if you ask them (But you have to find your own lodging).

J E CUSTOM
Old 03-30-2014, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

Good start. You're absolutely right about the calibre. 223 works fine on the small ones but when you get one of the big uns something that starts with a 3 works better. I have discovered they don't care much for my 7 mag either