Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

A Hog Rifle?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Gold Member

A Hog Rifle?

OK GUYS, I know the 6.5X284 is a great Deer calibre..How would it do on Hogs?
Old 04-20-2008, 08:49 AM
Silver Member

I have taken several hogs with my 6.5 using SMK's at 300yds + all have been DRT

Old 04-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Silver Member

shot placement on a hog is more important than cal. i allways try for a head or neck shot if you shoot behind the shoulder like a deer you'll usaully end hitting gutts and a hog even hit with a big cal can run to the next county they usaully don't leave much of a blood trail either
Old 04-20-2008, 04:54 PM
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, the hogs have moved in on our lease in the last 3 years and are doing what hogs do; MULTIPLY. My brothers and I have shot them with 7-08's, .308's, 7-30 Waters, and .223. Some run off and die, some have to be dragged off, a few get butchered, and in my case, a lot of them go unscathed, but scared silly.

I ended up using a heavy AR-15 with the 62 gr military ball. Fast follow-up shots, and lots of shooting. The survivors will stay away for weeks or months. For awhile they will remember where they were when the $h!t hit the fan. I used an FAL in .308 at first, but fast follow-up shots were not easy.

Many of them are nocturnal, and I haven't hunted them yet.

If you've got open terrain where you hunt, I recommend a light recoiling, rapid firing rifle. If it's dense cover, a big caliber and try to get 2 or more lined up to get them with 1 shot. It's probably all you'll get.

If you kill every one you see and trap continuously, you still can't get rid of them, unfortunately. They compete with deer and turkey for forage, they kill and eat fawns whenever they find them, and they raid turkey nests for eggs, and probably can kill new hatched pults.

I also believe some of them are dangerous, and am always armed when on foot.

Good hunting, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 04-22-2008, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

i use a stainless marlin 1895 guide gun in 45/70...had it coated in birdsongs black T had a wild west custom loop, action and trigger kit, scout style scope mount also from wild west and their rail set up that mounts to the end of the magazine tube....it holds a light if hunting at night...using a 405gr bullet shoot them where ever you want...they are dead. the guide gun is great for hunting brush or open to about 250 yards.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Bronze Member

KC, I don't doubt that your 6.5/284 can kill a hog. I have become more concerned in the past decade or so, of being able to stop a big bore or sow if caught down in a creek bed area with banks on both sides etc. One must imagine what would happen it I were here or there etc.

I once upon a time used a muzzle loader to go on a hog hunt, never again after that almost traggic experience. I shifted my weapon of choice to a lever gun in the 45/770 but jam city happened twice with that rifle, so I just didn't trust it after the so called problem was fixed.....bad spring.

I once again went to our gun room and selected a model 70 Winchester Classic (bolt action rifle) in the .338 Win mag caliber with 225 grain TBBC bullets. Once in awhile, I even take out my .458 Winchester magnum just for kicks! It is awesome on really large hogs.....Stops them in their tracks. I fear nothing with a model 70 Winchester pre-64 or Classic action rifle in my hands.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by specweldtom View Post
Unfortunately, the hogs have moved in on our lease in the last 3 years and are doing what hogs do; MULTIPLY. My brothers and I have shot them with 7-08's, .308's, 7-30 Waters, and .223. Some run off and die, some have to be dragged off, a few get butchered, and in my case, a lot of them go unscathed, but scared silly.

I ended up using a heavy AR-15 with the 62 gr military ball. Fast follow-up shots, and lots of shooting. The survivors will stay away for weeks or months. For awhile they will remember where they were when the $h!t hit the fan. I used an FAL in .308 at first, but fast follow-up shots were not easy.

Many of them are nocturnal, and I haven't hunted them yet.

If you've got open terrain where you hunt, I recommend a light recoiling, rapid firing rifle. If it's dense cover, a big caliber and try to get 2 or more lined up to get them with 1 shot. It's probably all you'll get.

If you kill every one you see and trap continuously, you still can't get rid of them, unfortunately. They compete with deer and turkey for forage, they kill and eat fawns whenever they find them, and they raid turkey nests for eggs, and probably can kill new hatched pults.

I also believe some of them are dangerous, and am always armed when on foot.

Good hunting, Tom
I also have used AR 15 with vary good results and 25-06 so your rifle will do just fine.