Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

HOG bait?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2011, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

HOG bait?

Whats the best bait for Hogs. have some on my deer lease, but they are kinda nomads.......they make a quick hit on feeder or bait pile then gone for a while. Would like to keep them hanging around, so i bust a cap in a cpl of em!1
Old 12-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Re: HOG bait?

Believe it or not, one of the things that I was reading on another forum in response to baiting hogs was corn soaked in diesel fuel....lol. The guy said that the hogs tore it up while nothing else with a nose seemed to care for it.

Personally though, I'd try an old favorite coon bait----burnt honey. You can smell scorched honey from a LONG ways away. If you piled up some corn out in the open during the day, then poured your burnt honey all over it, that would give the hogs all day to find it. They probably wouldn't hit it during midday either. Giving you a chance to come in in the evening and bust a few as they start chowing down.

I'd definitely bring a light though. Might be a bit after dark before they get on the food pile.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

heard they like diesel on a log or stump too, they rub all over it to keep the ticks and bugs off em.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Silver Member

That makes perfect sense to me.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

Back in the day we used diesel soaked corn (keeps varmints from corn) and then poured s ome on some old cut telephone poles we posted so the hogs could rub. Be warned if Game Warden finds you using diesel they will fine you due to enviromental impact.

Now a days we use jello with 2Qts water and soak the corn. You can use mase, sour corn, donuts, fruits, regular corn, hell you name it and they will come to it.

The first thing to remember they have to be around. If you search the net for "hog pipe" they work great and super cheap...... limit the holes to 2-3 and the hogs will be there until there is no feed left. I put a spacer in my endcap to install fruit and powdered jello to keep them coming back when the pipe is empty.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 PM
Silver Member

I have taken a post hole digger and dug a hole around 3 ft deep fill with corn and jello, when the hogs find it they will give a chance to shoot. That is if the land owner will let you. Good Luck
Old 01-23-2012, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger puller View Post
I have taken a post hole digger and dug a hole around 3 ft deep fill with corn and jello, when the hogs find it they will give a chance to shoot. That is if the land owner will let you. Good Luck
I've got a neighbor, who's from the Ft.Worth, TX area, that tells me the post hole full of corn is one of the best ways to keep em around. He'd pour jello, milk, and soda pop etc in as well. He said the trick was to dig as small diameter hole as possible, and as deep as possible. He says that they'll dig at it for as long as it takes to get to the bottom. I'm guessing it works like a champ, he's shown me a bunch of photos of huge hogs he and his Dad have shot. Spotlighting seems to the best way to go, as most of the pics were taken at night. He's talked about the "hog pipe" as well, and said they work great, but the hole alone was usually all they needed in TX.