Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

First year in forever I won't be hog hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 01-05-2017, 02:32 PM
Platinum Member

First year in forever I won't be hog hunting

So every year I take a group of guys to Florida for a hog hunt and we shoot everything that moves as it's pay per pig. We started at $125 a pig and last year ended at $150. This year we booked and got flights only to get a call two weeks before saying it had to be $250. Now the guide is a super nice guy so he was asking what I thought the others would think. So i texted everyone and as suspected they all backed out as it's just a fun extra hunt weekend for most. At least I'll be in Texas the week before hunting deer and whatever pig walks through. Still seems crazy that farmers still get government money for damaged crops and want to charge $250 plus per pig. I love shooting pigs and hunting them but to do a hunt now cost just way to much for pigs. Maybe the prices will fall this year in Florida without us taking 70 plus hogs out of population lol.
Well rant over maybe you boys in Texas will be seeing me at ranches hunting hogs in the near future.

Unread 01-05-2017, 06:03 PM
Silver Member

Re: First year in forever I won't be hog hunting

Well that sucks......sounds to me like the hunting got popular and now that Farmer is turning a convenience into a business and wants to keep some of them pigs around to breed again the following year. Not to mention, he probably wants to keep his subsidy checks coming from the Gov't.
Unread 01-05-2017, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member

Yep I get some farmers don't want certain people hunting on a farm with the cows and what not but they should not be allowed to collect our tax dollars for damage when a solution is available that cost no one but the hunters. I wish when I had a problem with something I could collect for a loss and then sell each ( problem) for a healthy profit.
Well this just moves me closer to buying my own place and doing hunts every few months.
Unread 01-05-2017, 07:06 PM
Silver Member

Yeah, get your own place......I'll pay you $125/pig to kill a few each year.....hahahaha
Unread 01-05-2017, 08:10 PM
Platinum Member

Hate it but that is what has happened to our sport. When I was young you could hunt anywhere just by asking. Now it has become a cash cow for the land owner and places to hunt are very expensive. Sad. How does an average family afford to take their kids hunting?
Unread 01-06-2017, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo4061 View Post
Hate it but that is what has happened to our sport. When I was young you could hunt anywhere just by asking. Now it has become a cash cow for the land owner and places to hunt are very expensive. Sad. How does an average family afford to take their kids hunting?
Agree, my son and I hog hunted a ranch near Paso Robles, Ca for several years at no charge. The owner passed and the new owner wanted $500 a day!! Checked around the area and that was the going rate, but the vineyard owners bitch like hell about hog damage with their hands out for any government $$$ assistance. Pork is relatively inexpensive here, I'll get mine at Safeway.
Unread 01-06-2017, 12:23 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geo4061 View Post
Hunting is the oldest pasttime in the history of this Country and sadly, it has become a rich man's sport in a lot of respects.....