Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

First time Florida Hog hunter with questions on rifle caliber choice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:25 AM
Silver Member

Re: First time Florida Hog hunter with questions on rifle caliber choice

The whisper with a PS-22 night sight in front of an ACOG is the ultimate pig gun. The 8 inch barrel may resrtict you a little, but if you make a head shot and keep it from squeeling other pigs won't care much and wll hang around allowing you to get multiple pigs.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Bronze Member

If I were going to hunt wild hogs in fairly thick brush on foot stalking them,I would choose a weapon that was fast handling,open sights 444,45-70,450.I have hunted hogs off and on for over 40 years, and when they run out of the brush in your direction you better be able to react and shoot fast and hit your mark.Just my two cents worth.........Good Luck
Old 11-04-2009, 10:31 AM

Grey,
Curious, did you and your wife go play with the central or north piggies and how did the hunt go for you?
Best,
Ed
Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strokerace_dave View Post
grey use what you have, I have killed hundreds of hogs through depredation permits using a 22 hornet and 46 grain hollow points, I have also shot them with 223, 243 and 300WSM. The smaller rifles be really precise in your shots, I like a brain or neck shot with anything I am shooting for hogs, they are very touh but easily killed with this shot.

I agree completely with Dave here. It's all about shot placement. I dropped a 220 pound boar from a distance of 50 yards with a AR-15 in 5.56 firing a 62 grain FMJ. I shot it just under the left eye and it dropped DRT. I didn't get a chance to disect the head to see where the bullet went but it didn't come out of the head. I think it may have bounced around inside, not real sure. Let me know if you'd like to see some pics.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Platinum Member

Congratulations on getting one. I prefer an M1a 20 round clip loaded with 147's peep sight...quick in the brush but good for those rare in Florida longer shots.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 AM

If you are spot and stalk hunting for pigs then I would not hunt with subsonic or small calibers. I have had very good luck with my 270wsm using 130 grain bullets on normal sized pigs. The thing is that you never know when you are going to run into a big boar. They are tough and can be very mean. My father shot one with his 30-06 180 grain bullet in the ear. the bullet did not make it out the other side of the brain case or if you like skull. The 400 pound boar did drop in it's tracks, but if you were spot and stalk hunting and did a chest cavity hit with a 223 you might be in trouble if he gets too close. I have a friend that had a close call with a big boar. His friend shot a big boar with a .50 black powder. The bullet hit the cartledge shield at an angle and bounced off. The boar got angry and charged. My friend had his black powder rifle and hit the charging boar in the X that is made between the ears and eyes (brain shot) and the boar piled up only 10 feet from in front of him. Too close. If I were spot and stalk hunting and thought I would run up against a big pig then I think the best rifle would be the Marlin lever action guide gun in 45-70 using 350 or 400 grain bullets.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:08 PM
Platinum Member

I'll stick with my M1a cause as soon as the first shot hit em the second ones already on it's way and so on.