Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

favorite .223 hog bullet.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 PM
Silver Member

favorite .223 hog bullet.

So getting ready for another piggy hunt next month. I got nosler partitions for my brother last year and they worked great dead piggies everywhere. Im bringing my ar this time for some fun. Wondering what your favorite bullet is I was gonna try razorbacks to see how they compare to the tried and true partition.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:51 PM

Re: favorite .223 hog bullet.

Whatever I have when I see them.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
Silver Member

60 gr V-max or Ballistic Tip in the ear never lets you down
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
favorite .223 hog bullet.-rscn0444.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 07:19 PM
Platinum Member

I wonder how the Barnes 53gr TSX would work at .223 velocities.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:33 AM

180gr Accubonds in .308 win...or bigger Sorry...

My answer is shoot whatever you feel is most accurate and reliable through the weapon. With a .223/5.56, I'd go with a shot to the nervous system. I've killed a bunch of pigs with my AR and had a few get away because of going for heart shots. My AR shoots accurate groups using surplus Lake City M855 Penetrator (62gr green tip) and I have a lot of them... and it kills pigs. I promise. A lot of members of pig hunting forum I'm on suggests Barnes TSX when using a .223 but the topic is debated on weekly.

In my experience, the first shot counts the most and if you get follow up shots on the rest of the brood, you're a mixture lucky/good. After the first shot, when the chaos ensues, putting accurate shots (obviously needed with a .223) on running rooters between scrub and trees is a real challenge. I usually try to go for neck shots because they're easier shots than heart shots or shots to the grape, especially when the chaos starts. Because of the follow up shots, I like to have something with more punch. I've been thinking of deploying my M1 Garand because I get a fast rate of fire with a 30-06 round.

Pig hunting (to me) is much more fun than deer hunting. I've killed pigs with anything from a .22lr to a 12ga as well as having more than a few get away. Nine times out of ten, when one got/gets away it's due to my error but I found you minimize your margin of error by shooting a larger-more powerful round...

The AR is obviously an awesome weapons platform because of the rate of fire makes it possible to kill off entire broods. We started using a semi-auto 12ga with buckshot where we hunted in South Texas because the shots were within 40yds and we didn't usually clean or eat the pigs (they were usually big, nasty, taste like garbage and the land owner liked to see dead pigs drug out to the bone yard). In my opinion, nothing is more effective in exterminating pigs (other than helo's or trapping) than running up on group with a shotgun and a four wheeler. I think I may have a different outlook on "hog hunting" than others though.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

I think your outlook is fine. I myself prefer my shotgun also. I just got my ar this fall and felt like bringing it on my hunt next week just cause. I got six boxes of razorback ammo should be in today. Still bringing shotgun because I know they fall fast to them. Ill let you know how they work. So far everybody I know uses partitions.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:18 AM
Silver Member

Just a report. Couldn't get the razorback ammo before I left so I settled on the Barnes. Every pig down withing 30 yards with shoulder shot and one ass shot. Sorry couldn't resist. Still down here and our count is at 46 in 3 days. And three goats.