Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Custom pig rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Custom pig rifle

JE, now ya scaring me! ....seriously .... have been thinking about the danger element with pig, and yes, pig/hog is hunted with various calibers from small to large. We hear many a time of hunters on the net, taking pig with almost anything. What we don't always hear is the circumstances under which they where taken. You could have a hunter who has mastered the art of taking massive hogs through his kitchen window with a small caliber for years. For the paying client it's a whole different ball game.

Are we talking big hog's in Australia?, or is it only in US/Europe that you find the big hog's that pose a danger on the ground? This rifle is extra insurance on pig's in OZ (Queensland), which is where I am heading next year.

Of the 2 rifles required, I have the varmint/meduim pig thing sorted in 6.5x55. This is a step-up from my 22 hornet. Bottom line.... I want sufficient (not minimal) caliber for the other rifle, should a monster hog pose a threat, therefore my final question would be: would any of the 338 cal's be sufficient or do I go up to 35 cal on worst case scenario with the biggest hog's? Not looking for "leverguns/bush caliber only" types, want a solid bolt action ...You have the experience ... how was the performance of these 2 cal's on a adrinalin stoked pig?

Last edited by Porker; 10-01-2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porker View Post
JE, now ya scaring me! ....seriously .... have been thinking about the danger element with pig, and yes, pig/hog is hunted with various calibers from small to large. We hear many a time of hunters on the net, taking pig with almost anything. What we don't always hear is the circumstances under which they where taken. You could have a hunter who has mastered the art of taking massive hogs through his kitchen window with a small caliber for years. For the paying client it's a whole different ball game.

Are we talking big hog's in Australia?, or is it only in US/Europe that you find the big hog's that pose a danger on the ground? This rifle is extra insurance on pig's in OZ (Queensland), which is where I am heading next year.

Of the 2 rifles required, I have the varmint/meduim pig thing sorted in 6.5x55. This is a step-up from my 22 hornet. Bottom line.... I want sufficient (not minimal) caliber for the other rifle, should a monster hog pose a threat, therefore my final question would be: would any of the 338 cal's be sufficient or do I go up to 35 cal on worst case scenario with the biggest hog's? Not looking for "leverguns/bush caliber only" types, want a solid bolt action ...You have the experience ... how was the performance of these 2 cal's on a adrinalin stoked pig?
It's good to be wary of hogs because this is a matter of size "Doesn't" matter. a 200 pound pig
can be just as dangerous as a 600 pound pig and it is not just the bores that have to be respected.

Like most animals the mother instinct is very strong and protection of there young is on the top of there list.

As to the caliber- again it depends on your distance,protection and shot placement. The old term that hot rodders use "There is no substitution for cubic inches" applies to bullet weight and caliber when it comes to hogs and bears. Enough is not the question.How fast is the important thing. Perfect shot
placement is not always possible especally when a pig charges you so be prepaired for the worst
and the results should be the best.

My favorite long range rifle for hogs is a 7 STW, my favorite elevated stand rifle is a 7/08, the favorite for still hunting (Sneaking) would be the 338 RCM, if I an tracking a wounded pig a
12 gauge 3 1/2'' or my 450 bushmaster is the weapon of choice.

I think you can see where i'm going with this, not only do you wan't killing power but also stopping
power when it comes to pissed of pigs.

Your 6.5 x 55 will do a great job if the shot is placed good and he should not run far.

Bow hunting pigs can be a total blast but you have to realize that even though he is dead when shot
properly he has time and vengeance on his side.

I do not fear hogs but I do respect them very much and know what they can do if given the chance.

If you respect a hog/pig even though they are smaller,like you would a cape buffalo you will do fine.

I have killed hogs with a bow, 17 HMR, 22 LR, 22WRM, 22 hornet, 708, 7 STW, 308, 30/06, 338,
350 RM , 375 H&H , 416 RM, 45/70, 45/120, 450 bushmaster and many pistols and shotguns and
the results were allways linear.(The bigger the caliber the better the all round results were).

I hope this helps you decide.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks JE, it will be a toss up between 338fed/338 hawk or a 35 whelen... just need to find out if the extra recoil in 35 cal is worth it.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:33 AM

Tikka T3 has a Lite Stainless in left hand w-338fed.

Here's the specs.
http://www.tikka.fi/pdf/specs/LiteStainlessLH.pdf

I have the T3 Lite Hunter in 338fed. Haven't gotten around to hunting with it yet but picked up some 225gr Hornady SP's to try loading & a bunch of Barnes from someone off Gunbroker.com

You can always get 308 brass on the cheap and neck it up for reloading with that gun.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Bronze Member

hi Tikker, Tika does go the exrta mile for lefties ... let me know how the recoil is in your 338f, would you say the caliber is good out to 300 yards? trajectory? Thats about the only issue I have, wanting me to go too a 30-06 case as platform.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:28 AM

The recoil isn't bad at all. I'd say its between a 308win & 30-06. As far as it going out to 300yds, I don't have any experiance in it yet, but it should go out to 400-500yds if you can hit the animal. The reviews i've seen are depending on what weight in ammo your gun likes more. Some get best results with the 200gr sp's and others with the 185gr Barnes. Some reviews state 1" groups at 200yds with the 185gr Barnes. You could go further out I would guess, as the bullets are great for long range shooting. Trajectory would be like a 30-06 I would guess. Federal has a Ballistic app that you can download and view how each 338fed factory load looks. Says the 185gr Barns only drops 26" at 400yds when zeroed at 200yd.

Only thing keeping you back from using heavier bullets is the lack of powder capacity in the case with bullets like 225gr and heavier. But that is if you reload your own. Just sight your gun in at 200yds and you should be set for any long distance shooting after you find out what the drop is at. Maybe a BDC type scope would fix that for you. Nikon has one that would work for the speed of this round. Sight in at 100yd with it being around 2800fps and should work out to 400yd or so with the hash marks.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

I know Tikka lists a lot of cartridges on their web site but they are not all currently available in the U.S. I want a 338 win in left hand but it is discontinued here, don't know about over seas.