Custom pig rifle
Having sleepless nights on putting a custom together for pig hunting. I'll specify the requirements and give insight with regards to my current battery, hopefully you can assist with some ideas on which caliber I should consider.
The rifle will only be ordered once I relocate to OZ from South Africa. There is still some time to mull this over and make an informed decission with the help from all you experts out there! I have never had a custom made, and this is a first and most likely the last due to a sufficiency in my battery. I have a Win pre-64 in .270 (too heavy), AR15 (can't take it), Win 22 hornet (piglets only), Win mod. 88 in.308 (too heavy), Win in XTR BB 375win. (open sights, short range), Franchi 12g semi (can't take it)
1) Broadly based on the feel/weight/handling of a Remington model 7. Had one in hand, and loved the weight, feel and speed of this rifle.
2) Left hand bolt in stainless.
3) Must be enough gun for big pig's through the shield at meduim/long range out to 250 yards.
4) Recoil manageable with a good limbsaver.
5) Commercial cartridge or lesser known ..within reason reloadable cost effectively.
6) Not considering anything under .270
7) Flat shooter out to 300 yards.
8) Also handy at short range with the scope power down.
I'm very mindfull of the fact that a handy custom will become the favourite and result in the rest of my rifles staying home. This I want to prevent, if possible. The set-up must be pig- specific to ensure I stick to my other 30 cal's for deer etc. I'm also not giving you any insight as to which calibers I have in mind, as to not influence your decision.
If I left out any requirements which could assist with your reply, let me know...