Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

Close one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
Bronze Member

Close one

Went bush pig hunting 2 weeks ago with some hounds. I just bought a 303 Enfield rifle for hog hunting because its almost impossible to buy a AR over here and the thick bush we are hunting does not make sense to carry around an expensive rifle.

Was standing on a dam wall to get a better view of the river where the dogs were busy when this large boar came jogging up. I hid behind the wall the give him some time to get closer. The grass is quite tall and was difficult to follow him. Started to walk in line with its path to cut it off. I spotted the boar at 30 meters walking very slowly. I went for a brain shot behind the ear but missed with an inch. The boar immediately charged, the follow up shot was too early and it shattered the left front paw which made it veer of a bit. The third shot was at point blank range through the heart and it fell 10 yards further after it passed me. Was a close call.

I realized the sites of my rifle do not align fast enough resulting in a close encounter. What sites will work better? I currently have the original ghost ring sites on the rifle. Its a 24inch full stock barrel. Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Jinx; 01-05-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Close one

Way to stand your ground!!!!

I know nothing about mounting things on the Lee Enfield but I have found those holographing 1x sights such as the EoTech to be great for your kind of shooting. There are models that a re very reasonable.

If you are going to continue to be that up close and personal I suggest a good thick pair of "heavy" leather chaps. Maybe even a full suit of armor.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM
Gold Member

Great story - It took alot of nerve to stand your ground - I guess you didn't have much of a choice - you got the job done - Great job!!!
Sorry can't help with your sight ?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Cool story, very interesting. A boar attack like that has to be kind of scary
Glad to know you finished the job just in time.
Those hogs are really cool looking.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 AM
Platinum Member

Jinx, I really enjoyed the story. Roy had a good idea with the chaps or armor. Another suggestion: if the Enfield is still military, it'll mount a bayonet.

Only half joking, Tom

A big fast bullet will beat a little fast bullet every time
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM
Gold Member

I'll +1 on the holo sight, it really helps with quick target acquisition and getting bullets where they need to go for close shots like that.

Good story and watch it, those pigs can really put some hurt on you.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:07 PM

Go with either an Aimpoint or Eotech. I've had both and each are great for close in work. Let me know if you need to know what the differences are, I've got a ton of info and not sure if you want to hear it.