Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Hunting > Hog Hunting

Hog Hunting Techniques For Hog Hunting

the chase is on

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2013, 10:05 AM
Bronze Member

the chase is on

these hogs have gotten to the point where they flush at the first sign of danger, so when I show up, you can imagine their horror. my area has become an evolutionary testing ground for the species. they have adapted by acquiring some type of radar that is presently unjammable. they bolted from clear across a one mile circle. the chase was on.

I cut through the center bouncing across the ruts from the pivot tires. I know all of the hogs were crapping in their pants from the ruckus. I fishtailed out the other side and poured the conoco to the old chevy. I caught up to them as they were exiting the circle and slammed on the brakes to keep from hitting them. thrusting the rifle out the window, I fired as soon as the scope found the largest.

one of my ear plugs fell out in all the bouncing around and the first round pop from the suppressor was a little loud for my comfort level. I'm not sure what it was, but I found something and hurriedly stuffed it in my ear. once back in action, the next largest hog went down with a squeal. the others were long gone in the tall grass by that time. I feel certain I could have pulled off at least three more shots in the time it took to recover from the ear plug malfunction. oh well.. even the pros miss the cut once in a while.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

Re: the chase is on

That sounds like a hell of a lot of fun.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:24 AM
Bronze Member

UPDATE - the sting of battle

this guy was running in the opposite direction of the herd mentioned above, towards the closest brush. since i was focused on the herd, i didn't see him until he was just a few steps away from cover, but i did notice he limped. seems he couldn't travel very far and had to stay close to the groceries. he was out by himself early tonight and was easy pickings. inspection of the body revealed a mangled back leg. perhaps he had experienced the sting of battle on a previous occasion.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:25 PM
Bronze Member

Awesome! Keep the stories and pics coming!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:00 PM
Bronze Member

got this guy in the same crop circle where i've been seeing hogs lately. racing around to block the escape route was successful again. when we met on the far side, he stopped and just looked at me. we both knew it was over. he gave me the nod as if to indicate he was ready. there are consequences to staring at a man with a rifle aimed at your face.

this one was leaving a field as i tried to stalk him. he was moving faster than i could, and i had lost as much ground as i could afford. i connected with a lucky long shot, but had to fire quite a few more times to bring him down.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Bronze Member

I finally got the call. hogs in the cotton. I rearranged the weekend and left immediately.

yes there was hog sign everywhere, but the cotton was 4 feet tall. I wouldn't be able to see an elephant unless it stood on its tiptoes. finally about 3:30am some hogs came out of a circle that I just happened to be watching. a big one laid down right next to the cotton and the others settled down in the corner rolling around in the dirt.

I crept closer hoping to kill the big one first and take out as many of the others as I could before they made it back to cover. a big spotted boar was antagonizing the others. they were so preoccupied with him they didn't realize the real danger was closing in. the spotted one agitated the others so much they all got up and slowly started making their way to me. I froze in the ready position watching the spotted one. even though I was thinking about the big one by the cotton, they were getting so close it would be too risky to take my eyes off them now, even for a second.

at under 40 yards I concluded they were as close as I wanted them. the first round took out spot with a head shot. he went down with enough authority I knew he was confirmed. I picked up the second biggest and gave him the appropriate lead, which at that distance also translated to a head shot. then I heard loud hoof beats coming toward me and getting louder. I couldn't see anything except the small tunnel of salvation offered through the scope. before I had time to come about, the pounding hoofs barreled past me. fortunately, the biggest were already down and the smaller ones just wanted out of there. I swept across and nailed him in the head too. then I caught the last ones who were either confused or slow. either way, they're dead now.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

What a blast!!

Nice work

-The flexibility of your adaptability is the true measure of your intelligence-