Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Sponsors Marketplace

Sponsors Marketplace Check Back Often For Special Offers From These Supporters Of Our Forum Site

Suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

I highly recomend them , I have several that I built myself on a Form 1 , they make a very effective brake and a good one will make a rifle "ear safe" meaning that it can be shot without ear protection.

Bigdaddy0381 , you can use a suppressor on a caliber smaller than it was intended for without any trouble , it probably won't be as quiet but it will be effective are cutting the noise way back and recoil.

MAJOR NOTE :: Guys make damn sure that your smith threads your barrel on a lathe and when he dials it in that indicates off the BORE if you get a well made close tolerance can and your threads are not strait with the bore you can shoot you silencer and ruin it and your barrel , possibly your body

Scooterbear , where in MS are yall
Old 02-05-2008, 11:34 AM
Weda

If you state allows a supressor GET ONE! THis is a no brainer.

only sub sonic rounds make no noice.

Normal loads still produce the sonic crack. About as loud as a 22lr. Supressors also reduce recoil.... win/win.

contact your local sherrifs dept. for details
Old 02-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones View Post
I highly recomend them , I have several that I built myself on a Form 1 , they make a very effective brake and a good one will make a rifle "ear safe" meaning that it can be shot without ear protection.

Bigdaddy0381 , you can use a suppressor on a caliber smaller than it was intended for without any trouble , it probably won't be as quiet but it will be effective are cutting the noise way back and recoil.

MAJOR NOTE :: Guys make damn sure that your smith threads your barrel on a lathe and when he dials it in that indicates off the BORE if you get a well made close tolerance can and your threads are not strait with the bore you can shoot you silencer and ruin it and your barrel , possibly your body

Scooterbear , where in MS are yall
JJ,
yeah I understaind you CAN use it but by law it's a no no. a .308 is for a .308.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Platinum Member

I'll have to check into it but I think that once you pay your $200 tax you can shoot your silencer on what ever you want. On the Form 1 it ask what calibers it will be used for and does not specify that it has to be caliber specific. I know that in my case I can't make seperate sets of baffels for my one can like one set for 22 cal and one set of 308 as I would need another serial number .

In any case if you guys can afford them I'd certainly buy as many as you can , if the next president is who my gut dreads it will be I'm sure that things like this will once again be placed out of the normal guys range. the $200 tax was imposed back in the 20's when $200 was like $10,000 now!!
Old 02-07-2008, 10:33 AM
Bronze Member

Cans

I was Cl 3 for 11 years and handled many--you can make an adaptor and shoot on a smaller caliber--I made them for smaller .22 barrels and used MAC cans-work just OK, not "special", like a dedicated unit. But, MAC cans were $100 and everywhere. The guns were under 200$, too!! SPend the $$$ and get the best you can find. You are right about not making another set of baffles--any suppressor part IS A SUPPRESSOR. The form 1 must be approved and on hand before any parts are made. You are required to get BATF approval in advance to take Class 3 items across state lines--be careful. I have not seen it enforced, but a law none the less.