Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Free Classifieds - Buy or Sell > Trade, Freebie and Loan

looking to borrow or rent eletronic dog collar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Bronze Member

looking to borrow or rent eletronic dog collar

Well i finally gave in (caved in) and let my wife have a dog.
well what we have is a Blue Heeler, and i want to try to train him out of
jumping on people, and chasing our two cats around the house and to learn the command NO. he sort of has it figured out but would like the extra emphasis.

thanks
clos
Old 08-17-2008, 11:29 PM
Platinum Member

Re: looking to borrow or rent eletronic dog collar

Clos,

You done real bad.

The most useless animal in the entire universe is the blue healer.

I'd recommend the following:

Shoot the dog.

Get a shock collar for the wife.

I'd send you mine but my wife still needs it, really. Getting it on her was a real fight but once around her neck just a touch of the button keeps it there.

It sure is a lot quieter around here.

Gee wizz, a blue healer If you'd a got a Border Collie you wouldn't need the collar and your points with your wife, neighbors and visitors would go way up.

PS: This isn't intended to be a flame, I just dislike healers.

The truth is that the use of the collar is for reinforcement not training. It won't work the way you wish to use it.

To cure jumping up on people.

Start with you.
When it puts it's front paws on your leg, press his rear paws with your toes. Don't stomp them, cause it'll hurt. Simultaneously give a command, like NO! or Down!

Healers are bone heads but will catch on quickly.

Teach your wife to do the same thing.

As for stopping chasing cats. That's a waste of time. Dogs are for catching cats. Hard to tell I dislike cats more than I dislike healers, huh?

When you mean NO mean NO, and put a bit of a growl in your voice.

NO can even be his name stated strongly with a bit of a growl in your voice.

If he begins to kind of ignore you or snear, as is kind of sulking away and turning his head to look back with one eya and seems to be saying "Just wait until you're not around", shoot it in the ***** with a BB gun. When the wife isn't around that is.;)

I've trained bunches of stock dogs including two healers (before I quit taking them in_. The foot on the toes works and they begin to under stand "no". However, the farther they are from you, the deafer they get. Thus the BB Gun. Lots less expenisive than a collar and with their poor trajectory its good LRH practice.;)
Old 08-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Silver Member

You need a check cord and a good book on dog training. Check lion country supply's website. Anything you can do with the collar you can do with the rope. Most people just screw the dog up worse with a collar.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Platinum Member

What dlyon said to.

Their hearing will go as far as the rope.;)

The idea is to be able to reinforce the command in a strict/firm but pleasant way. Consistency is key.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:55 PM
Platinum Member

The above all assumes you are smarter than the dog. ;)

In my case, I'm in trouble ( 3/4 Jack Russell Terrier, 1/4 Beagle ), if he had opposable thumbs, we'd all be in trouble!

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 08-18-2008, 04:14 PM
Gold Member

What they said! The other thing is to make sure that he/she understands that they HAVE to listen to your FIRST command. In other words, you don't have to say "no" a couple of times for them to finally listen to you. Once should be enough.

Same for whatever command you give them for sit, come here, etc.

In the Springer field dog world, the come here command is "here", and the command to sit is "hup". The way to get the dog to sit ASAP is have it on a short leash on one side of you, with a switch in your other hand. When you tell the dog to sit, pull up on the lead and if they don't sit asap, give them a swat on the rear with the switch - the switch is behind you, across your back and their head is in front of you so they can't see it, nor can they see you doing the switching. They will get the idea pretty quick!

My second English Springer Spaniel was a field trial wash-out that didn't sit when the bird flushed, and I tried like he** to get her broke of that habit. The problem was she was too smart for her own good. In training, where we could reinforce the commands, she would be on her best behavior. But in a trial where you couldn't reinforce the commands, she knew she could get away with not hupping when the bird flushed. But she made the best hunter that you ever saw!

Therefore my handle - esshup.

If you do get an e-collar, don't use it right away. Have the dog wear it so it doesn't associate the collar to the correction or they will be collar shy. Also, only have the collar turned up enough so the dog barely notices the correction. Think of it like someone tapping you on the shoulder to get your attention, not punishment.

Everybody in the family has to get with the training program or the dog will think it can dominate one of the family members.

I could go on and on, but get a good training book and start reading ASAP.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Shoot the dog.

I agree with you there. I really dont want nothing to do with the damn dog, but i guess i must trun lemons into lemmonade.