Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Want to build a long range rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2009, 02:04 PM

Re: Want to build a long range rifle

Thank you for everyone's imput. It sounds like the 338 is the most popular. As for the Africian questions. More than likely it will just be a plains game hunt. And truthfully I may just take my bow, that is if I even get to go with today's economy. But I was under the impression I would be required to take a 30 cal. or larger for anything in Africa. It looks like I need to do some more research.

I am not a gun collector I only own a couple of guns, but I shoot them a lot. So I would like to by something large enough for most big game around the world meaning, deer, bear, elk, moose, caribou, and plains game. I would think if some day I could hunt dangerous game I will be able to afford a bigger gun. Also I just like the idea of shoot accuratly out to 800 yards, sounds like a blast. Over the last year I have been able to tune my TC muzzleloader to shoot a 8" inch group at 300 yards with a 1x scope and my 270 out to 400-500 yard, but I have felt like there is not enough energy left to shoot elk that far with that caliber. I wish I new more technical data about the gun it might be fine. I just have worked of trail and error.

Can someone explain more about a 338 Edge. Is it the same as a 338 mag. Sorry this might be a dump question. Its okay to give me a little crap if you would like!

Scott
Old 05-16-2009, 02:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Want to build a long range rifle

Scott,

The 338 Edge is nothing more than the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum necked to 338 cal.

It's most probably the easiest of the 338 adaptations to get along with and shot extremely long range.

Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge, a sponsor here, came up with the Edge moniker and makes a great shootin' stick.