Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Trigger failure in Rem Model Seven

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:46 PM

Trigger failure in Rem Model Seven

Kia Ora folks! Thats New Zealand for "Howdy"! I am based in Auckland, New Zealand and do a fair bit of hunting around the place. And what a great place it is too! Hunting is superb and generally easily accessible. Hunting for deer is legal and encouraged all year round. Anyway - on to my issue. I bought a Model Seven a little while ago and I am sure the previous owner had the trigger lightened. I used is a couple of times out in the field and had no problems. Took the rifle out to clean yesterday and it cannot be cocked! The sear won't hold. If I put the safety on and it will hold when I take the safety off the gun will fire! So here's my Q: should I bother trying to fix the original factory trigger or go straight for a good quality aftermarket replacement? Has any of you guy had a similar problem with a Remington factory trigger? I suppose that questing had been thrashed to death in previous threads? Anyway - Cheers and greeting from NZ!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:27 PM
Silver Member

Re: Trigger failure in Rem Model Seven

Hope this helps.
Adjusting the Remington 700 Trigger
Old 02-22-2011, 11:44 PM

Thanks for that fj40mojo! Very instructional. I have sent the rifle to a top-notch gunsmith to sort it out. Unfortunately, he is located in Christchurch here in New Zealand and I think it will be some time before fixing my rifle will feature in his thinking! Those poor bastards down there just had a devastating earthquake - potentially the most damaging in New Zealand's history. God help them!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

Problem sounded like insufficient sear engagement. I think you could have sorted it out yourself and still ended up with a pretty decent trigger. I've had my M7 since '85, taken several elk and lots of deer with it. Handy little rifle, 7mm-08 but have been giving thought lately to rebarreling it to .260 Rem. Prayers sent for your countrymen and women and best wishes to you. Wish I could make it down to your part of the world for some stag hunting and trout fishing.