Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Southwest Arkansas hobby gunsmith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2011, 06:59 PM

Southwest Arkansas hobby gunsmith

I am 55 . Retired machinist. Hobby gunsmith that builds an occasional rifle from barstock. Presently finishing a muzzleloader and a Winchester 1873 and doing early work of building a Borchardt in .45-90 and a Winchester lowwall in .17HM2... I seldom actually finish one..Been more than a year since I finished the last one..Thinking I will get out and try some hunting and or target shooting to give me reason to finish my projects....Primarily I just enjoy working in my home workshop..Anybody else here enjoy building their own? Heres a view of Highwall I built in .38-55 caliber.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:10 PM
Silver Member

Re: Southwest Arkansas hobby gunsmith

Alphawolf. Very nice work. Do you do the wood fitting and finish also? My Gunsmith in Kila, MT., John King builds hiwalls, sharps and rollers all from stock also except the barrels. Beautiful works of art. Yours is so close, to being finished. Do yourself a favor and finish it and shoot it and show it. I am so jealous that you have talent to create a masterpiece like that. Awesome, Jeff
Old 07-01-2011, 07:30 PM

Yeah me too, I cast the buttplates and make every flat spring, pin and bolt...I buy rifled barrel blanks and tube magazines and make as much of everything else as I can..I carve the wood too....There are guys out there doing considerably better work than I am doing, god bless'em I am still learning the craft and this will never be anything except a hobby.......I am however doing what I enjoy in my own home workshop. Having heaps of fun... Here is my copy of a .22 Marlin model 1892 that I built everything except barrel and tube magazine ..

Old 07-01-2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Nice work glad to have you on this site
Old 07-01-2011, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoElk2Hunt View Post
Nice work glad to have you on this site
I sure appreciate the welcome. I see a lot of past posts in the gunsmithing section that I will want to read...And I know nothing about reloading, so I'll hunt posts on that subject..I probably wont say much but am liable to spend a pile of hours on here.. Looks like a real good group.