Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Sheepguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Sheepguy

I'm looking for a good varmit rifle. I was considering a .22-250, possibly in the Remington SPS. I live in the west and need something capable of a little range. My focus would be coyotes. Questions are: is there a better varmit caliber out there than the .22-250, and would an out of the box Remington SPS provide the accuracy to do the job? Recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Sheepguy

Bob,

Yep it'll do the job, both rifle and cartridge, depending on what you mean by stretch.

I'm thinking that possibly wind may be more of a factor than distance. Thus heavy for caliber bullets would be appropriate. Factory twist may be a limiting condition here.

What about a 243 in the same model. That would help some with possibly more barrel life. If I recall correctly my huntin' buddy's REM 22.250 loaded quite warm, went belly up at 1500 rounds.

Even better would be the 243 Ackley Improved. There's a fella down the road from you that does a heck of a job on the AI cartridge. This is kind of dreamin' though.