Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Savage Model 25 LV-T in the .223

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 01:27 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Savage Model 25 LV-T in the .223

Im with Mphstigerfan on this one. I own loads of Winchesters, and never liked Savage in the past. But as he said if you get a crapper, just screw on another barrel. Theres gotta be a reason so many guys on L/R/H buy Savages. Maybe they want an inexpensive strong action thats easily customisable. Buy the rifle, throw away everything but the action and build your own for alot less $. But I dont see too many folks shooting factory rifles(of any manufacturer) at extreme distance. I squeeze all the performance I can out of what I have with hand loading, and live with the results untill the day I can afford to build a dedicated Long Range rig. As far as cost goes, a Savage does look tempting as a ''donor'' action.
Side note: This is just like the old Chevy vs. Ford debate. Many people love thier Savages and the rifles shoot clover leafs for them, As do Rem. Wby. Win. etc. To each thier own. Its a personal preferance and ALL of the above mentioned brands are quality actions if nothing else. even if you dont care for the ''brand name'' a good action is a good action period. Shoot what you like and shoot it often and confidence as well as personal ability will soar at ever increasing distance

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 03-02-2010, 10:48 AM

I didn't mean that it was not a straight shooter or that it was not well built. It's just that it is suppose to be a Varmint gun and the barrel was a high gloss blue. Any sun light reflecting of this would blind you so to speak. Varmint rifles are suppose to have matte finishes. And the bolt on it was tiny with alot of slop in it. With the clip being plastic made me feel like they scrimped on quality on those three points. I ordered a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Sporter in the .223 which was only $60 more and had better quality in those three areas I was concerned about.
Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 PM

That’s a good recommendation for the Ruger M77. I would like to know how that turns out for you. Maybe a new thread for Ruger. I have a Savage Model 25 and bought it because it was on sale and had the heavier barrel and a nice stock. It’s called the light varmint barrel because its lighter than a real varmint rifle. I shoot the Federal 69gr match ammo and hand load the Hornady 68 gr match and just started with the Hornady Amax 75 gr. At 100 yds and a COL of 2.37” the Amax bullets gave me about 0.3” vertical spread and shot significantly lower and tighter than a COL of 2.35”. I will load them up a bit hotter and try at 200 yds then 300 to see if they are still stable at those distances. The 69 gr bullets can give me 1/2 MOA groups. The Model 25 has a 1/9” twist. I have read that 75 gr bullets should stabalize but the bullet mfgs will not support that on the boxes, they recommend 1/8”twist. Results later.