Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

rangefinders

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

rangefinders

I have noticed in reading various blogs that everyone is quoting the ranges of their shots. I am having dificulty getting my Leupold RXll to range distances unless their is a very large object close to the target. Living in Ohio their are many instances where their may not be a large object close. Are their range finders available that can range a ground hog at 400 yards or is this asking too much?
Old 04-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Platinum Member

Re: rangefinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by peashooter View Post
Are their range finders available that can range a ground hog at 400 yards or is this asking too much?
Yes, but the beam devegance may be bigger that a groundhog at 400 so you will be getting some ground wth it. The best way to fight that is get ar far above te target as you can. This will allow you to range at a downward angle and increase accuracy of the rangefinder. Also you will need to rest the RF on a tripod or solid rest to be accurate on such a small target.

The Swaro Laser Guide 8x30 and the Leica CRF 1200 are the two current modles that are up to the task and more. I would also assume the new Zeiss 8x26 would do it, but I haven't tested it yet.

Jeff
Old 04-10-2009, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

peashooter- I don't have the same range finder as you do But have have/had 2 of the leupolds (don't ask!). In my personal experience you have to hold them super still. You need to have it rested on something but it should read. Especially just at 400. Mine really got cumbersome at 600+.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:58 AM
Silver Member

I have tried two of the leupolds that friends at work have, and neither of them were up to the task of doing their job. At just over three hundred yards the would seldom range a black cow, and at just over four hundred they would seldom range a faded john deere combine.

All other rangefinders WILL do what those wouldn't. I have tried nikon, bushnell, and leica so far and I currently still have the leica.

I should add that the everyone I know that bought leuplod has since bought something else. i guess it depends on your expectation.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Silver Member

Ditto I have trouble getting a reading on trees at 400 yards.
Old 04-10-2009, 01:09 PM
SPONSOR

I would contact Leupold if it is not working right.

SEB Coaxial Front Rest - Dealer
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...t-by-sam-hall/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCsyjQr0Yrc

"Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh no.........they're awake!""
Old 04-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
Yes, but the beam devegance may be bigger that a groundhog at 400 so you will be getting some ground wth it. The best way to fight that is get ar far above te target as you can. This will allow you to range at a downward angle and increase accuracy of the rangefinder. Also you will need to rest the RF on a tripod or solid rest to be accurate on such a small target.

The Swaro Laser Guide 8x30 and the Leica CRF 1200 are the two current modles that are up to the task and more. I would also assume the new Zeiss 8x26 would do it, but I haven't tested it yet.

Jeff
Are the Swaro rangefinders as good as the binoculars? I have a pair of Swaro binoculars and am very satisfied with the product. If the rangefinders are of equal quality they should perform well. I do have multple Leupold scopes and am satisfied with their quality, but the Leupold rangefinder has been somewhat of a disappointment.