Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

Quick hi from Cork Ireland

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Quick hi from Cork Ireland

Thanks Geekstrap,
pity, the pace in Ireland is getting a bit faster in the last years.
I'll try post a few pics every now and then.

Rob,
took part in a modell aeroplane world championship in Australia in 91, christ a while back. I enjoyed the country and have great memories.

You are not allowed to use moderators, we are lucky if we get a licence for a 308. Very enjoyable to tackle a project with a son. I am concentrating on composite stocks since about 2 years. I've been working with epoxies and advanced fibers since I was a kid and my two sons and myself are now trying to manufacture the ultimate hunting stock in very small quantities. That's the green stock in the second picture. It only fits a SA howa, next up maybe a remmy.

Regards
edi
Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM

hey Edi,
yep its great getting the young fella involved and educated in safe and resposible hunting.we are away this weekend pig hunting, we use .270 and 30-06 on dem critters, usually running shots, so it keeps your off hand skills sharp for deer hunting season. we glassing a huge 17 point red stag at the back end of last season and we hope to get him this coming year.
i am really interested though in this extreme long range. i am attracted to the preciseness of the sport as well as i like hard hitting calibres.
have you heard any reports on the Rem MLR?
i think that is a really good move to make the synthetic stocks for the Rem'n action....lots of them.
have seen the dirty dog stocks? they have a cartridge compartment in the butt!! pretty snazzy eh?
regards,
Rob
Old 11-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Bronze Member

Hi Rob,
the main problem with long range shooting we have is that we have no ranges around to test, check or practice. My long range practice is with my 22-250 on crows rabbits and foxes. Next problem is that most deer shooting is done in dusk or low light conditions that wouldn't have enough light for longer shots. We have houses and farms all over the place, which makes it difficult to just go out in a field and fire many shots.
The six stags I shot this year happened to be 110yds head/bipod, 180 yds neck/bipod , 30yds neck free standing, 150yds spine/off friends shoulder, 120yds high heart/bipod and 100yds neck/bipod.
I wouldn't have even had a chance for a long range shot. Now that the doe season has started I'll try out new loads at longer ranges to be prepared.

I've only seen the wild dog stocks on photos, but people in the UK seem very happy with them.
Looks as if Ireland and UK are slowly pushing to make 30cal the upper limit for hunting rifles. So that's it for us and 338.
Hope you had a good piggy hunt, pitty we don't have any in Ireland.

best regards
edi
Old 11-10-2008, 10:34 PM

Hi Edi,
.30 cal sounds great, that means you can use a .30/378 which you can legally shoot with! thats one hard hitting flat shooting calibre especially with 225/250grain projectiles, and you have a fantastic choice of them also.
yes we did ok this w/end with half a dozen pigs each and also trapped four for the pigsty to fatten up for xmas.(I think thats how you spell pigsty?)
My best shot was of the bonnet of the 4WD at around the 400 -450 yds mark with my trusty mk2 Ruger s/s synthetic 30.06.
this rifle shoots MOA and better all day long and never needs re-sighting in. My boy Robbie uses a .270 weatherby Sub - MOA and performs the same.
Sounds like you had a great Deer season and still more to come. do you shoot for meat or for trophy?
we have here in Aus Chital, Fallow, red, Wapiti, Hog, Sambar and Sika, with Red and Fallow being within 1.5 hrs drive from me.
the Red are now declared a pest and have no control on hunting them at the moment, although, i still only hunt them in the rut.
Sometimes (lots of times) i dont shoot them, i just enjoy the stalk.
Anyway, i gotta go.
C' ya.
regs, Rob.