Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

New Rifle .308 or .270

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 07:10 PM

Re: New Rifle .308 or .270

Let's rephase the question. If I were to hand reload and the .270 regular barrel savage and the .308 heavy barrel savage were my only two options, which one would you choose for a 800 yard shot.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcb210 View Post
Let's rephase the question. If I were to hand reload and the .270 regular barrel savage and the .308 heavy barrel savage were my only two options, which one would you choose for a 800 yard shot.
Either one is capable, and since you're talking about hunting, the profile of the barrel becomes less significant as you're looking to make first round accurate hits and not as concerned with the barrel heating up due to taking numerous shots at the range.

The .270 is going to have better ballistics, drop less, and drift less due to the wind when comparing similar bullet weights. Look up Jack O'Connor for all you need to know about the .270. He makes the argument that a 130 grain bullet from a .270 is one of the best combos for deer and you can use heavier bullets for bear.

.308 is plenty accurate, I just don't think it's the finger of God that some portray it to be.

Both will have plenty of factory loads available, but if you're going to get into handloading, there are a lot of better choices for deer for those ranges than .270 or .308.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Though the 308 will work, to me, it's not even part of the equation.

If Jack O'Connor could see what my 150 VLDs are doing, I'd bet a month's salary he'd give it a whirl.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:32 PM

Hello Jmcb210;
You have chose to decide between two tried and true cartridges and two great factory rifles. Please don't think I am talking down to you as I am just trying to help you achieve your goal. I don't know how much experience you have, so I will include all I can think of so you can extract what you need.
I will sudgest you buy an All Weather Warrior in 270 Winchester and get a scope you can afford with turrets that are easy to adjust in the field (I'm not nessesarily saying buy a tactical scope, just one that you can confidently adjust for range and conditions).
If you don't have a chronograph and can't beg or borrow from a friend the $150.00 for a chrony is priceless for long range. So is $150.00 for a hand held weather station and a pocket sized notebook to keep track of your progress.
Start with the less expensive factory ammo that offers proven hunting projectiles.
Shoot each box through in five shot groups and clean between the groups with a light clean or bore snake.
When you find a factory ammo that gives one MOA or better at 100 yards and a standard deviation of 15 or less, start shooting it at 100 yard incriments out to your desired 800 yards.
Use inch drop targets to let you know exactly where that bullet is hitting at that range out of your rifle and prove your rangefider at the same time.
Keep track of all the information from the chrony weather station and targets and compare it to Ballistic calculators you can find free on line. You will find a combo of all these things that you are confident with.
By the time you have done all of this you will know two or three factory ammo choices that work for you and your rifle... and there won't be a deer your rangefinder gives you a number for that you won't be butchering later that day.
Have fun, shoot safe and good luck.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM

Hey if you are reloading... still go with the 270. I agree with the 308 not being as great as some think it is. It's not bad, don't get me wrong, I launched thousands of them in the military, but I don't own one now...
Old 01-23-2012, 11:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
After 40 years shooting a 279 Win and having a few 308 Wins
  • a 270 Win and a 308 Win born with equal opportunity will shoot together.
  • 30 cal has a more extensive bullet selection
  • any 270 projectile will shoot flatter than any similar weight 308 Win projectile @ a given MV.
  • Both cartridges with proper bullet and velocity is effective on white tails at the distance you specify
Which means that both cartridges with proper drop chart development will place the bullet vertically where you are capable of placing it.

Deal breaker or Deal maker depending on you you look at it is: all 270 cal projectiles have a better bc than similar weight 30 cal projectiles.

Thus the ol' 270 is the hands down choice .

I'd recommend a 140 gr bullet but I've done the job on many mule deer w/130s.

If any of this post is inaccurate it's because my earlier taken meds haven't worn off plus I just finished watching pres. debate......what a thriller.