Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

New Member near Boise, Idaho

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 12:57 PM

New Member near Boise, Idaho

Hello to All

I am a new member living near Boise, Idaho.

I do a lot of varmint shooting, including jacks, rockchucks, and Townsend ground squirrels. This year, I may attempt a wolf. However, in general, I would like the wolves, except for their highly detrimental impact to game populations here in Idaho.

One of my favorite shooting pastimes is shooting Townsend ground squirrels with a .22 long rifle, sometimes at ranges up to 150 yards, so that is a bit of a challenge, and expecially in the winds that constantly blow around here.

Many years I will shoot 5,000 .22 LR rounds during the February to July squirrel season, and now, I am using a CZ 452 for this. I have had two of these previously, one in .22 LR, and one in .17 HMR. They are very high quality, accurate, with fine workmanship. I shot the .17 HMR so much, that after over 6,000 rounds, it seemed to lose its fine accuracy, so I traded it.

For several years, I shot many jacks with a Browning A-bolt in .223. And, I shot that fine little rifle so much that I shot its barrel out after over 6,000 rounds! And, it is my opinion that shooting jacks is probably about the best practice a rifleman can have, because you have everything from runners at close range to offhand shots at over 250 yards. You just cannot get much better practice with your scope and rifle combination than this.

And then, there are the rockchucks! A Tikka Model 595 in .223 does most of this, but I also use a .240 Weatherby, a Sako 25-06, and others. This is also excellent practice for a rifleman, because you get to dope the wind, estimate range, and sharpen your eyes and hunting skills to spot them and outsmart them. Again, it can be quite the challenge to hit a big old wily boar at 400 yards with a .223 in the wind!

I am looking forward to learning more and exchanging information with the forum.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:06 AM
Bronze Member

Re: New Member near Boise, Idaho

Welcome to LRH!

You might want to stop in at the "Idahoans sound off" thread and meet some of the Idahoans on this board.

Idahoans sound off.

Have a great day,

Buck
Old 05-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Silver Member

Welcome Steve, another place you might want to check out for lots of local shooters and just a good bunch of folks Boise Shooters
Old 05-28-2011, 06:38 PM

fj40mojo:

Thank you for the welcome!

You must have an FJ40. I had a 1966 LC and it was a good machine! Poor heater and defroster, noisy, not very good mileage, but almost indestructible.

Now, I have a 1995 LandCruiser, and a 2000 Lexus LX470, so I have stayed in the Toyota fold.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecrea View Post
fj40mojo:

You must have an FJ40. I had a 1966 LC and it was a good machine! Poor heater and defroster, noisy, not very good mileage, but almost indestructible.

Now, I have a 1995 LandCruiser, and a 2000 Lexus LX470, so I have stayed in the Toyota fold.
Used to, used to be active here in the NW Cruisers of ID too, but I let Tojo go to ride a Harley, don't have that anymore either. Kept the moniker cuzz it was easier than establishing a new identity. All gone now in favor of a family which I cherish. Still clinging to my guns and raising my boys to do the same. Some day I will have another Cruiser, can't afford it right now.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Bronze Member

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum, I live near Anatone Washington, about 40 miles south of Lewiston Idaho. I do a lot of Rock chuck hunting on my property and enjoy it, I have been spending most of my gun time lately in Montana doing the 1000 yard bench rest shooting, I do a lot more reading here than posting, but will be looking for your future posts, I also hang out on 6br or (accurateshooting.com ) hope to talk again.
Wayne
Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 AM

bozo699:

I do not recall that I have ever been to Anatone, although I was raised in Cottonwood, Idaho, and am generally familiar with most of the area. I have probably been to Asotin, and recently traveled to Joseph, OR via Halfway, last year to attend an art festival there. You live in God's Country!

Many years ago I elk hunted in Idaho with two gentlemen who hunted on the Imnaha River in Oregon, but that is still south of you quite a ways.

Where did you go in Montana for the 1000 yard shoot? And, what did you shoot as far as a rifle for that? How did you do?

All the best to you.