Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

New member from Alabama

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New member from Alabama

Welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Enjoy.
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Welcome!
As far as your 30-06 goes, youll be fine with a 165gr or 180gr out to 500yds.
As nice as it would be to change up scopes/ turrits, sometimes it costs $ that we dont have. If it were me id spend that $ on quality ammo (a bunch of ammo) figure out what groups best in your rifle first at your home range out to 200 yds then buy alot of ammo. PRACTICE alot and ''dope'' your rifle. (point of impact vs point of aim). and limmit your shots to your best personal shooting ability(1st shot, cold bore, on target) when you go on your hunt. The optics can come later after youve tuned your rifle a bit if $ is tight.The more you shoot extended ranges the more confident youll get in your ability to place them correctly. Your confidence will soar if you keep with it!
One thing I used to do with my 30-06 with a standard duplex in my scope was to dope out where my crosshairs went from thin to thick. Sighted 0 at 100 yds with factory flat base spire point 180 gr ammo, with medium bases and a 40mm obj scope I was ''on''again at 380yds at the intersection of thin to thick.
Each rifle will be different but that may help ''ballpark'' your range while ''doping'' this intersection.
First and foremost ADJUST YOUR TRIGGER! Lighter triggers = tighter groups. It sucks when you''pull'' your shot due to a brick trigger! It costs 0$ if you do it yourself and its easy to do. I do all my model 70's on my own. (theyre factory rifles,used for hunting so were not talking ounces here) Be safe. I like mine set around 2#'s. (OTHER OPINIONS VARY GREATLY)if you dont have a trigger pull gage, just make the thing go click a tic before you think it should go click,and youll be around 2ish #'s. Im no expert or even close but a do it your self trigger job on a model 70 is easy, and very rewarding on the range and in the field. Good luck

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 01-26-2010, 07:46 PM
Platinum Member

Scott, make sure if your going to adjust your trigger you know what your doing. Not saying one has to be a smith to be qualified to do it but, I've heard a story or two about folks who adjusted their own trigger and the gun went bang when it wasn't supposed to. Remember the safety mechanism is part of the trigger assembly. I'd prefer to have mine adjusted by a competent smith and it is reasonably priced.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:13 AM
Platinum Member

As I stated earlier, ''be safe''. Its a hunting rifle.
Chas1 does bring up a good point tho. If youve never even taken the stock off your rifle to clean it, you may want to have a smith do it for you. Maybe I overstepped my bounds, however they are incredibly simple. Maybe you could have a smith show you how once.
When in doubt, ALWAYS use a real and reputable gunsmith. And be safe!
Youll enjoy the bennifits of a better trigger either way

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"