Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Hello everyone, I have just joined. My interest in long range shooting started only a couple of years ago and i now have the bug in a serious way. Up until now i have used only slightly modified factory rifles. Shooting out past 700 metres is a severe challenge with this type of equipment and it is now time to get a serious long range rifle. I was thinking 6.5 x 284 to shoot upwards of 1000 metres. One of the biggest challenges that i have is that i am left handed, this truly limits my ability to find myslef a rifle that i can customize for myself. The hunt is now on! Any and all suggestions will be taken seriously. Thanks for any input.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:24 PM
Gold Member

Re: New member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddco View Post
Hello everyone, I have just joined. My interest in long range shooting started only a couple of years ago and i now have the bug in a serious way. Up until now i have used only slightly modified factory rifles. Shooting out past 700 metres is a severe challenge with this type of equipment and it is now time to get a serious long range rifle. I was thinking 6.5 x 284 to shoot upwards of 1000 metres. One of the biggest challenges that i have is that i am left handed, this truly limits my ability to find myslef a rifle that i can customize for myself. The hunt is now on! Any and all suggestions will be taken seriously. Thanks for any input.
Welcome to LRH. It's always nice to hear from another lefty. Your choice of calibers should be fine for 1000m, unfortunately finding it in a reasonably priced LH gun is a bit more tricky. I hate to admit it, but your best bet is to just get used to a right handed rifle (one with enough clearance for the bolt to clear your thumb, learned that the hard way with scars to prove it). If your pockets are a bit deeper, the sky is the limit. If you watch the classifieds on LRH you'll find a suprising amount of southpaw gear (leftyG is always selling good LH guns) If I were you, I'd find a good action in LH and have it accuratized and rebarreled by a good smith. I've got a couple lefty guns, but I'm not really sure if the extra money spent was worth it. Good luck, and Happy Hunting.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:55 PM

Re: New member

Can you tell me what type of guns you have had built/assembled. I was thinking of taking the 700 action i have, buying a good quality stock, maybe shilen or krieger barrell, i have a jewel trigger and having a gunsmith put it together for me? I was thinking this might be the most economical way to have a good left hander.