Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

New LRH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Bronze Member

New LRH

I'm new to this site I have been doing some research on a new gun build and this looks like a great place to find the answers I'm looking for. I'm building a 7-300wsm and would like to know if buying a rem 700 and true it up would be as good as just buying a custom action. If not what custom action would you recommend and why?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New LRH

A 700 can certainly be as good. The advantages to using a 700 would be, total control of the features and specs, more options, and a chance to save money if you need trued but not all the extras.

The advantages with a custom are improved aesthetics, better resale value, and less work for your smith (faster turn around).

I like Defiance Machine. His work's top notch. I like Stiller because they are quality and available.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

Re: New LRH

Which one defiance machine or stiller would be the best. I looked at defiance web sight and couldnt find a price on them. They both look like great actions this is my first build and I want it to be a good. My smith says a trued up 700 will be just fine I just see some little things that make a custom look better such as tighter bolt, maybe a longer barrel tenon, thicker recoil lug, better extractor for magnums, and a over all heavier platform. But it does cost considerably more so is all the extra worth that.