Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Chatting and General Stuff > Member Introductions

Member Introductions Tell us about yourself. Include your Location in the thread title.

New hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM

New hunter

Well, I have hunted upland birds and ducks, just never hunted deer or elk. I hope to go elk hunting in NE Arizona next season. I have an old sporterized model 98 Mauser with 4X scope.
I have been studying amo for this 30-06 rifle and think I have two probable rounds that should be good for Elk or maybe Mule's. I am down to either Winchester Power Max 180 gr. or the Hornady Superformance GMX 165 gr.

Any pro's or con's to either of these and have I missed the mark and should look at something else entirely.

I should add that if I am lucky enough to see an elk I will probably pass up any shots over about 200 to 250 yards due to lack of experience.
TIA
Phaeton Driver
Old 12-28-2012, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Re: New hunter

those should both work just fine. just remember with elk even if you know you made a good shot keep shooting it till its down and not moving

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad